Monday, April 12, 2010

making space, pt. II

As I was going home from the mall yesterday, I had the sudden urge to de-clutter. It's one of those shifts that logically follow a significant life event. Turning points like resigning from a job, getting your own place, ending relationships or having a baby, usually act as catalysts to make us wonder about ourselves (who we are) and life (what we want out of it).

I pictured getting rid of the stuff that my mom had long suggested I throw out. They are, after all, just junk - old examinations, board review materials and magazines that are not fit to be used for purposes other than kindling, collectibles that I have outgrown, broken toys that are no longer working, clothes that I haven't worn for years, receipts, memorabilia and other whatnots that are but pieces of my old life.

Even in vision, the purging proved beneficial. Now that I have fully decided to do away with those that weigh me down, I am certain of the promise that I'll feel a little less cluttered and a little less stuck after the exercise. Suddenly, that first step doesn't seem so daunting anymore. Indeed, there is a certain liberation that comes from making space.

2 comments:

engel said...

if you decide to throw out comic books you're tired of reading already, don't. just give them all to me. :D

citybuoy said...

as george clooney would ask, what's in ur backpack?