Monday, May 10, 2010

wish me well

2008 had me wishing for my US trip to push through. I sought peace of mind for 2009. Heck, I wished for it on four separate candle-blowing ceremonies. Well, maybe three since I did hope for something else that one occasion.

2010 is different. As of this writing, I have yet to come up with a birthday wish. (Also, as of this writing, I've only had one cake which my beloved brother took it to himself to cut a slice off before I could protest.) I find it a bit odd since I'm a sucker for these things but like I said - 2010 is different.

Easily, I could give you seven things that I could've wished for: a fitter body, Admutwenty, bliss, a Subaru Impreza, a new notebook, better career, and a new person. However, to force myself into yearning for these things just doesn't feel right.

Herein lies three possible explanations why I'm in this rather peculiar state:

One, I don't know what I really, really want so asking for anything lesser than that, in terms of importance and priority, just to say that I have a birthday wish, is tantamount to settling; I never settle.

Two, I'm done with birthday wishes. Maybe, the past few months, or years have taught me that birthday wishes are just that - wishes. Now, I'd rather categorize them as goals that I have to work for instead of leaving its happenstance at the hands of the powers-that-be. I like it when I have control over the variables. It makes the end goal seemingly within reach.

Third, while it may be far from what it seems, perhaps I really have nothing to aspire for at the moment. Those seven things that I have mentioned, I can as quickly come up with reasons why I don't have to wish for them: I may not have the body that I want yet but I'm a lot fitter as compared to twelve months ago; I get to see Admutwenty every so often and that's enough for me, and besides, I no longer want to get too attached to anyone anyway; achieving bliss is relative; cars are expensive - I'd rather have a baby; I still have a functioning laptop; my career is the last thing on my mind right now; and I have everyone that I need (really, you do realize these things after shit happens). I may not be jumping up and down with glee but I am quite content with the people and things that I have in my life. Truthfully, I couldn't ask for more.

So yes, there will be a lack of birthday wishes made by myself this year. But please, don't let me stop you from wishing me well. Yours are most welcome.

4 comments:

Eternal Wanderer... said...

huffy, huffy!

gillboard said...

contentment is the key to happiness... hehe

anyway, i've long learned that birthday wishes aren't the best means to get what you want.

citybuoy said...

i like this! it's the anti-birthday birthday list. lol

oh and i wish u well. :D

FerBert said...

Happy Birthday! :D