Friday, February 11, 2011

last valentine's

Rent, the Musical is the first play I have seen since college. I watched it with the King on Valentine's Day last year. I had our tickets reserved ninety days prior to the set date, and my good friend Bom, who was one of the producers behind the special production, gave us the best seats in the theater. We sat front and center, and Marc Cohen, as I would like to see it, was just a hug away.

Now unlike the King who knows the musical by heart, I know zip. So while he sang and emphatized, while the rest of the audience laughed when this girl mooed, I remained still, mesmerized. I tried to take it all in but the aesthetically pleasing element of the play was a bit distracting. As of this writing, I can barely remember a scene but ask me about the lead and I'll tell you that that he was so cute. I mean good of course, as in I-want-to-be-like-him-when-I-grow-up good, and/or cute. Thinking about it makes me feel like I'm seventeen again.

But this is not about Rent, and this is not about the King. It is not even a love story. I am not going for a romantic thrill. Still, allow me to share what happened after.

It was a nice evening so the King and I decided to go home by foot. We talked about the musical, and Marc Cohen. We caught up on so many things like month-old stories that we have yet to tell each other. It was just like the old times. Then again, that's always how it is with the King. I would have wanted to have dinner so we can chat longer but he had to go home, so we called it a night.

I was already in my room, a few minutes into an in-depth googling about the play's ensemble, Bom sent me a message. She thanked me for coming. In turn, I congratulated her for a successful investment. It was a sold-out show. Then she said something like, "I don't mean to pry and you don't have to answer if you're not comfortable, are you two together?"

I can't say that I was surprised. Clearly, going out on Valentine's Day wasn't the most well-thought plan but I am pretty sure we were anything but romantic. I opted to ask, "What made you say that?"

"You have a certain glow. You were perky and bubbly. I haven't seen you like that before, and I am so happy for you. If you want to, you can invite him to my wedding." She replied.

"What?! No! Haha. We're just friends." I answered back. But wow, I have a certain glow. I thought.

The King sent me a message later that evening. "Fredison Lo."

"I know." I said smiling to myself.

No comments: