Sunday, February 20, 2011

in search of a good read, pt. I

Good books are rare gems but time and technology made it possible for quality reads to be more common than they were. In the vastness of the Internet, writers and dreamers alike claimed anonymous space where spontaneous emotional outpourings are encouraged, displays of literary prowess are appreciated. Their mere existence is acknowledged; their significance, validated.

Web diaries have become one of my constant sources of material. It is a part of my daily regimen to sift through my bookmarks, go through each post, and in the process, update myself on the intricate lives of virtual strangers. I would like to think that we're more connected than we think we are.

Naturally, I am curious. I love to know what goes on in their heads. I want to see firsthand how they perceive the world. Blogs are their avenue for unrestricted thought transfer, straight from writer to reader. Their writings capture and immortalize the myriad experiences of life. In turn, reading them gives me insights and knowledge I would not normally learn.

Over the years, I have amassed links that caught my liking. Literary geniuses whose words flourish like stars on a hot summer night. Writers who takes the most mundane of things and transform them into a body that is most certainly appealing. Those who invariably throw in $10 words, those who successfully pull off pop culture references, or those who make stream-of-consciousness entries - they are all impressive. Eloquence is such a turn on. However, nothing is as stirring than a work that is genuine. That's one character that most lack. Good thing there are a few that I have luckily stumbled onto.

Then life happened. Career, academics and more of life made it impossible for me to appreciate the blogosphere as much as I used to. While I miss writing, I actually miss reading quality material more. Where are the wordsmiths when you need them.

3 comments:

CB said...

This guy never fails to make me smile: http://p11.hostingprod.com/@www.fetchmyflyingmonkeys.com/Hedgehogs/

gillboard said...

i'm looking for them too.

Nishiboy said...

yep, there's something about blogs that's so appealing. it's the factor of truth, i think. it's comforting to read familiar stories in other peoples lives.

and you should know where the wordsmiths are. kabarkada mo sila. =P