Sister Mary used to be a nun. She thought that she'd retire and have her some fun. Mr. Joe of the Philadelphia Joes, well he walked in the post office one night. He said, "Hey sweetheart, you know you look alright."
- Jewel, Everybody Needs Someone Sometime
*******
I remember hearing my mom commenting that people seek companionship when they're no longer happy and contented with what they have. And for the longest time, I believed her; until recently when I chanced upon a discussion which made me reflect on the subject matter. I do not completely renounce her opinion because at some level it is correct.
However, intimacy is a basic human need. At some point in a person's life, he will yearn for another person whom he can be affectionate with regardless of how perfectly happy or miserable he is. Nevertheless, it is true that those things are variables that he might consider, consciously or otherwise, in making such decisions.
My mom just failed to account those people who are relatively happy and content but are now looking for similar souls whom they are willing to share their wonderful lives with. Or perhaps, she hasn't met one.
I mean, I can't exactly tell her "d'uh, like ako", can I?
*******
POSTSCRIPT. I swear there's a huge irony in what I just wrote but I'm too tired to analyze and delve further. I'm pretty sure I still made sense anyway.
2 comments:
i guess you're both right: some people seek companionship either because they need to fill a deep void or to share the bounty that they have.
@r-yo: True. Haha. :)
Post a Comment