Tuesday, November 4, 2008

radical, pt. I

For some weird reason, B and I talked about mathematics a couple of nights back. I guess it's just normal to delve into the more mundane topics every now and then. After all, we can only talk about life, love, blogs, and bloggers for so much. Eventually, we have to discuss the more unusual but not necessarily boring subjects, like math.

But I wouldn't exactly call math boring. I would like to think that I'm just not overly zealous about integers and natural numbers, vectors and functions, Geometry and Topology, differential equations, statistics and numerical analysis.

Ooh, head rush.

It is rather ironic that I can't find the zest to be fascinated with math and yet I live, breathe and sleep numbers. Heck, math pays my rent. Not that I'm renting but you know what I mean. I have my own place. Well, I live with my folks. They own the place.

Anyway, I know a lot of people find it really interesting. Objectively speaking, mathematics is. Not only that, math also plays an integral part in everyone's life. It is a core subject for a reason. Most university degrees which include the sciences (physical, life and health, social, tech and actuarial) and business and commerce require a good knowledge of the subject that will greatly help a person progress in their selective discipline. Given the scenario, future careers are highly dependent on how one will be able to apply their specific math learnings into their work.

Doctors and nurses use math. Teachers use math. Engineers use math, a lot. So do accountants. Make up artists use math. Baristas use math. Coffee drinkers use math. Customer Service Representatives use math. Yup. The Pope uses math. Palin uses math. Zac Efron uses math. Even Britney Spears uses math - hit me baby one more time... get it, get it? No? Aw.

Never mind. It's just me using a figure of speech, like how mathematicians would use algebraic symbols when they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

TO BE CONTINUED.

6 comments:

atto aryo said...

'math proficiency is genetically-founded, dependent on which side of one's brains got more blessed. i say mine got it most at the artistic side, so math is quite alien to me" (that is the standard reply i give when asked why math doesn't fascinate me much, he he.

N said...

I wish our human problems can be solved by mathematics...it provides an objective recommendation.

And I can prove that 1+1=1, that is, mathematically. LOL

(OT: see? I could comment.)

The Dork One said...

i hate numbers too

count me in! i mean count me out!

MakMak said...

@r-yo: Ahaha. Ready answer? Haha. :)
Siguro nga. I think scientifically proven naman po yung kapag inclined ka sa arts, hindi ka masyado mahilig sa numbers. Pero palaging may exception sa rule. :)

MakMak said...

@alex: Ahahaha. Wag naman hate, masyadong strong yung word na yun. :P

Try, great dislike. Haha.

MakMak said...

@white: 1+1=1? Hmm...