In an attempt to save me from a dark descent, Striker challenged me to be vulnerable. Even for just a month. He wanted me to experience the whole spectrum of emotion by being more open to other people, or at least to a certain person.
So I did.
I allowed myself to miss. To feel. To revel in the sweet highs and momentarily dwell on the heartbreaking lows. My mind entertained possibilities that I would not normally think of, and noticed signs that I would, more often than not, ignore. It took some time but eventually, I felt secure enough to let go of the fear that impeded my movement.
Through this, I gained perspective. My being vulnerable was not a sign of weakness. Rather, it displayed that I was strong enough to show that I care, if not love.
Earlier, while trying to divert my attention to more productive things, I realized that in order for my work to be pure and heartfelt, I need to embrace vulnerability once again.
I came full circle. To write what I truly feel has always been my guiding principle. But sometimes, the universe puts us in a circumstance that hinders free speech. Hence, we come out with nothing.
However, I think it's rather pointless - this declaration of vulnerability, or an attempt thereof. These walls that I have, they're a part of who I am; and as extensions of myself, my writings are safeguarded as well.
Only a fortunate few have managed to get through, but only because they also lowered theirs. Naturally, the Law of Reciprocity applies - tell me your story, and I'll tell you mine.
Let me be the one to say that it's worth it.
9 comments:
But sometimes, the universe puts us in a circumstance that hinders free speech. Hence, we come out with nothing.
i agree.
sometimes, absence speaks more truth than what our senses want us to perceive...
there was a quote about putting up walls. it says that there's nothing wrong about that, it's a way for you to find out who'll be brave and strong enough to break them down just to get to you.
or something less cheesy like that.
@engel: There's a line on the original draft of this entry that I omitted and it goes like, "only the brave can and will break through". Haha.
Just going to save it for some other post. =)
@wanderingcommuter: Well said. There is truth in silence, perhaps moreso than in any uttered word.
Sometimes the truth is ugly. No, more often than not, truth is. Hence, we'd rather keep mum than face it.
waaaaahhh!!!! a post about meeeeee!!!!! --- grace adler este...striker. hahaha!!! pointless or not...it stirred something, right? =)
@thecurioscat: Why the grin? Hmmm...
@spanky solomon: Haha. It stirred a LOT of things. Not just something. Haha. =)
After the year that was and when everything is done, was it all worth it?
Come on, tell us. This is the best way I can start the most-awaited. :)
(And I should know better, right?)
Cheers to the new year ahead, Mak!
@goodboi: Very much, yes. My being vulnerable paved the way for me to learn that I should a) stop overanalyzing things and b) learn to let go of all my fears. I think I handled it well naman. =)
Now, I know all the hurt is already behind me. You know why? I can look back and smile. =)
It was worth it. I've been down for so long that I can only go back up. =) 2010's gonna be just that! Di ba, sabi mo? Haha. =)
Post a Comment