Saturday, July 10, 2010

winging it

As I didn't want to spend the entire hour and thirty pondering on how to tackle a Henry Kravis quote while sticking to the recommended format of the essay, I took a chance and came up with something more innovative (i.e. because I don't follow directions) keeping in mind that the article should have content, coherence and, more or less, a correct grasp of the language.
"You don't have to go through the entire process. Let's do away with those! It will just waste our time, and you know how significant a variable time is for us. Let's look at the numbers. It's not unlikely we'll rank third in the market. Do you want to be third? Nakakahiya yun, di ba? This is a new era so let's start it by giving our best innovations out there. Schedule an appointment with me. Give your pitch. Show me your targets. Then, I'll tell you what will be at stake," the newly-appointed CEO of a hyper-moving consumer service provider exclaimed during his first townhall. I was seated in the front row; clearly, I can't daze off so I reluctantly listened and digested his words. Besides, this is a new regime and it would be helpful to have an insight as to how our new leader thinks.

"I'll tell you what's at stake," he went on. "If you really believe, with all your heart, that you will deliver then bet your salary on it." He grinned. The crowd remained silent. "It's a surefire way to get results, and we need results." Here is a guy who is renowned for his background in entrepreneurship. He was declared CEO not too long ago and now, he's trying to cultivate his ideals into the corporate culture. Initially, I was perturbed by his proposal but as the wheels and cogs in my head started turning, I realized that the man made a point. It's all about risks, entrepreneurship. Well-defined, solidly founded, and accurately measured risks. Entrepreneurs carefully examine the market. They try to absorb all the needed learnings and apply it onto their endeavor. They put in everything. It's short of backing up their project with their life. In fact, for entrepreneurs, the undertaking is their life. It's almost always an end-all, be-all situation.

So when the CEO restated his challenge to project proponents, I nodded in agreement. I understood where he's coming from. To be the market leader, the company needs creative thinkers who firmly believes that their projects will be a hit. Hence, they are ready to back their proposals with everything. The company needs these learned risk-takers. We need real entrepreneurs.
Given certain constraints, it's the best that I can come up with in fifteen minutes. Everything was peachy until I realized that maybe my work was unsatisfactory, and that it didn't really answer a few of the requirements posed in the questionnaire. Haha. But, whatever. I was really worried that I won't be able to make something that would pass as half-decent. Fortunately, I did. :-)

1 comment:

engel said...

good luck with the test.

what was that all about, by the way?