Monday, December 27, 2010

generations: engel tells all

When you try to meet bloggers outside of their respective homes, you take a risk. Apart from what you read in their blogs, you really wouldn't know anything about the writer until you finally meet him/her. There are those who'll stalk you, those who'll be clingy… the crazies. There will be people that when you meet, you'll become enemies; and of course there will be those who will become your lifelong friends.

I don't know what led me to add his Yahoo Messenger ID when I saw it, a few months after following his blog. I think I had a little crush on the writer. We certainly had one thing in common. We love the X-Men. He has a certain fascination with Psylocke, while I'm more of a fan of Bobby Drake. But more than that, he was a sensible writer.

Deep.

Romantic.

Interesting.

He is the total opposite of me. That's why I was so surprised that he accepted my invite. I did not expect that.

I was more surprised when I got to know him better. He was the opposite of who I thought the writer behind One Minute Before Dawn would be. My initial impression of Mak was that he would be an elitist snob who doesn't mingle with us commoners. He had that rich kid vibe.

But then he had to make a comment about being Kim Chiu to Gerald Anderson.

And so the barrier was broken. He was not who I expected him to be. Yeah, he tends to be serious, and a bit melodramatic, but he knows how to have fun. We got along great.

For a long time, all we talked about was blogging. Bloggers. Blog life. Write ups. We compared blog crushes. And then we opened up about our lives. Our past loves. Heartaches. I got to know Mak better. Suddenly, we're not just online pals, we became friends.

The guy's a hard nut to crack. I oftentimes tend to spill too much information to him, only to find out he's not going to spill back. But that's fine. The trick with Mak is you have to be patient. And to shut your mouth. But that's why it's easy to trust him. When you tell him something you don't want others to know, you can trust that he'll keep his word.

We've only known each other for about a year, but among the people I've met online when I started out writing, he was the one who I've been through a lot. He set me up on a date with his friend. I've been with him through a recent heartache. We slept through some parts of the movie Inception. And we've become church buddies.

It is a risk meeting people online. But in the rare instances that you meet people like Mak, you'd be glad to know that some risks have positive pay-offs.

*******

Who would've have thought that Engel would manage to tell it all in just 481 words? Engel has been a friend for over a year now, and a reader of OMBD for far longer. But really, who's counting?

2 comments:

DN said...

"There are those who'll stalk you, those who'll be clingy… the crazies."

Hehe. Nakaka-relate ako. Kasi crazy ako bwahahahahahaha!

wanderingcommuter said...

whoa. this is sweet. don't personally knwo you mak, but what engel wrote already gave me a clearer image of you.