Monday, August 31, 2009

remember that

PREVIOUSLY.

Through the course, we talked about frenemies, acquaintances and common friends; how X met Y, how B knew J, and how A is connected to everyone else. This eventually led to him recalling, "Ang tahimik mo nung una tayong nagkita."

"Hindi kaya," I said as I clearly remember what happened that August 31st.


*******

It turns out that I don't.

Well, bits and pieces come to mind like it was definitely the last day of August, a little after six in the evening, when we decided to meet.

I was wearing my wakely jacket on top of a red shirt. They were at the far end of Starbucks Jungle when I arrived; one was engaged in a chat and the other was studying. In the course of exchanging pleasantries, they showed me a picture on Multiply and said, "O, di ba ikaw ito?".

Yup. It was me.

We didn't stay at the cafe long though. For dinner, we ate at Gram's which is two stores away from Starbucks Jungle. It was where we talked and swapped anecdotes for the rest of the evening. Come to think of it, they did talk more than I did that night. I guess it's all part of the whole awkward, introductory phase. Looking back, it felt like there was little, if not zero, awkwardness among us.

I think we clicked.

In fact, I know we did. Otherwise, the numerous hang outs, parties, movies, dinners, coffee breaks, and study sessions wouldn't have occurred after that initial meet up. Good times, those were.

That cessation would happen nine months after. Or is it eight? I lost track when I stopped counting. Something happened during that period, but that's for another story.

Anyway, that's what I recall; the tiny bits and pieces that I would prefer stashed, for the time being. The human mind is unpredictable and unprejudiced like that. It will make you remember. And unless you have grown indifferent, it will make you feel.

It's the reason why I stopped frequenting the area. If it weren't for my convenience I would have chosen some other cinema to watch Up with my best friends. I won't deny it. I am still uncertain if I am ready to confront my ghosts. It will take some time. No science or math can tell when I can tread that same old route with a clear head, when I can walk there and remember, and smile.

Last night, I thought of going there but I reminded myself that it was already too late. The gate along Palma Drive was already closed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

someday magiging ok na din ang lahat. TC

citybuoy said...

are we talking about the starbucks branch sa rockwell? yung sa may good earth? haay dami ko ring emo moments dun. haha

it's strange no? you think you're okay and then you get little reminders every now and then and it sends you right back... haay.

engel said...

i think i need to read through your entire blog to fully understand your story.

but nice new layout though.

theLastJedi said...

"The human mind is unpredictable and unprejudiced like that. It will make you remember. And unless you have grown indifferent, it will make you feel."

- that captured it all. and to it i say, never let indifference or lack of it, deter you from feeling what you must. it is very unfortunate that life should make us wallow before we could say "im there"..

' i remember three years ako di pumunta ng tokyo=tokyo kase takut aku na meh maalala.. don't worry you'll be able to confront yours, believe me..

- by the way, thanks for quoting george orwell.. =)

dencios said...

ako din may ghost sa past pero na over come ko na. sana ikaw din