Friday, September 25, 2009

the green apron chronicles, pt. I

Some believed that I pursued this stint for purposes other than what I really had in mind. It all started with boredom. When I'm bored I tend to do a lot of crazy things and applying for a part-time job that I really didn't need definitely counts as crazy.

It was around this time last year. I was still with a company that patronizes my flex schedule. That means I work when I want to work. My boss is in the Americas and the time difference prevented us from having constant direct interaction save for the occasional monthly meetings which is usually set at nine in the morning, eastern time. I used to spend an hour at most to finish my tasks, after which I'm a free man. I chatted. I blogged. I Yovilled. I bloghopped. I had fun. But it got old really fast. I wanted to do something worthwhile, and since my job is last on the things regarded as worthwhile, I was forced to look for one that is.

Then I received a phonecall, "Hi! This is a girl with a forgettable name of Rustan Coffee Corporation. Are you still interested in applying for a barista position?"

Oh my heck! I have totally forgotten that MaeMae and I passed an application to Starbucks. But that was like months ago. Long before I've been to the US. Long before I've moved out of my former, former job. A lot has happened between then and now, but...

"Yes," I said unable to hide the delight in my voice.

See, I've always wanted to be a barista because I think they have one of the coolest jobs. I can't think of anything cooler than being able to enrich other people's lives through a cup of coffee at a time. Plus, they get to call out drinks to the customers.

"Decaf Venti Non-fat No whip Chocolate Cream chip Frappuccino Blended Cream for that cuteness in brown shirt!" (In a well-modulated voice.) Super excited! Wee!

But seriously, I've always been attracted to the idea of being a front liner. It felt like a calling back then. Sure I'm happy working at the back office but the thrill of forming connections with strangers by personally providing them service that exceeds their expectations appeals to me in so many ways. Perhaps, this is what I needed. A radical change in my otherwise dull office life.

"Yes. I still am," I repeated my answer.

"Okay. Then please be at our head office tomorrow for the initial interview."

TO BE CONTINUED.

5 comments:

engel said...

if ever you decide to take a barista job, let us know where you'll work para mabisita ka namin. =)

Anonymous said...

Like in the 'Stages of Love,' c'est vrai, I also would want to be a barista. But I don't think life will be cool in being one. I just want to stare at people buying coffee, being able to chat with them and be able to call out their names, but make coffee for tons of stranger?! Arrgghhh! Looks miserable!

Pero having a personal barista like you would be cool. :-) Hahaha,just kidding!

jbinx said...

"Decaf Venti Non-fat No whip Chocolate Creamchip Frappucino Blended Cream for that cuteness in brown shirt!"

--Your sooooo...PoVedan! :-) ehehhhe

citybuoy said...

parang ang cool nung thought.. to leave my job and become a barista. it's such a... radical life change ala chick flick right before she meets the man of her dreams!

yeah, let us know kung saan ka maaassign! dalaw kami!

MakMak said...

@engel: I did. :-)