Saturday, September 26, 2009

the green apron chronicles, pt. II

I sat in the middle of the briefing room with twenty other people, most of which were younger than I am. This made me insecure and uncomfortable for a moment, and the fact that I was overdressed, as compared to the rest, made it much worse. In panic, I sent a message to several friends.

"Interview mode. Wah! Di ata ako matatanggap dito. I feel so ugly and old!"

But I'm really not, and for the record, no one is.

"Ano ka ba? Hindi ka pangit no! Kaya mo yan." Meet JJ, a true friend. Her words did comfort me a little but what gave me the full boost came a few minutes after.

The HR personnel came back and formally introduced herself. She instructed that she'll be pulling out papers from the stack she's holding, and the person who's called out shall introduce himself/herself as well. Apparently, this was how they go about the initial screening.

By the time my name was called, I had regained my confidence. I knew I had a shot at this more than anyone else in the room.

"Do tell me something about yourself, Mak."

I told her everything she needed to know and not once did she look bored. That's always a good sign.

"You're applying for a part-time job," she asked.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I have a lot of idle time right now, and I'd rather do something productive than trifle."

"So why Starbucks?"

"I've always wanted to try my hand in being a barista, and there's no better place to get the necessary training than here. Besides, Starbucks only hires the best. Similarly, I want to be associated with the best."

Bow.

Seemingly satisfied, she went on to interview the remaining applicants. After everyone has spoken, she excused herself and went out, saying she'll come back for the results.

The guy to my right began to make small talk when a girl came in the room and began handing out letters to a select few - those who didn't pass the interview. Luckily, what I got was a request to come back later that week for the second screening.

TO BE CONTINUED.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I've always wanted to try my hand in being a barista, and there's no better place to get the necessary training than here. Besides, Starbucks only hires the best. Similarly, I want to be associated with the best."

Sure you said this out loud? Oh, this is a total blow man. Hahaha

Anonymous said...

You're pretty cool dude ! :)) =))
I envy you ..
:D