Wednesday, February 10, 2010

near kisses and other stories: 14 days to love (one summer night)

On the front porch, I sat looking at the resplendent image of the moon cast still on the water’s surface, clear and unbroken, much like the haunting silence of this summer night only perturbed by a soft humming,

... You were all by yourself
Staring up at the dark gray sky...

and the sound of grit, crunching under someone else's feet. The illusion was quickly dispelled. A silhouette formed, only to fade as you stepped out of the shadows looking a bit flushed with a bottle and another on hand.

"Mind if I join you?" you asked.

I shrugged. I smiled. I moved a little bit to the right.

Four steps and a turn. Left hand on my right knee, you took your place beside me. Perhaps, a little too close. I could smell your cologne. I could hear you breathe.

"What are you doing out here?" you inquired.

"The party was a bit crowded." I said. "What about you? Shouldn't you be inside?"

"I got bored."

"So you decided to bring the party here," I said playfully. My eyes on the bottles you're holding.

"Ah! Yes, this..." you said raising the blue one. "This one's for you. It's your favorite, right?"

I nodded and grinned as you handed it to me. "You went out to look for me?"

Now it was your turn to grin. "By the way, congratulations! You deserve that post," you said steering the conversation.

"Yeah!" I smiled. "You too! Can you imagine?"

"What do you think will happen to us," you asked. Your eyes contemplative. Dreamy.

"It'll be so much fun! I can't wait to start planning. Hell, I can't wait for our team building! It'll be grand!" My smile gradually shifted to a frown as I realized something. "You will be graduating ahead of me. I'll be here by myself then."

"But we'd still be here. Remember, there's the folio to work on." you said reassuringly.

"Oh! Do you remember last time? We were having dinner while waiting for it to be delivered..."

"And you spilled soda on my pants?" you laughed. Your eyes getting more chinky. "How could I forget that?"

"It was an accident!"

"I know," you said. "Fun times..."

"Yeah. Fun times."

For a moment, we remained still. Quiet. Staring at the midnight sky.

You took a swig off the bottle. "It's been a long term," you said. Five words that marked the start of a lengthy dialogue. An intimate conversation that covered issues about your family, our friends, the future, and ourselves. We talked and we listened until the first glint of the sun shone from across the horizon, hitting the front porch on which we are sitting on.

"It's morning already," you said faintly.

"Yeah. We should probably go back now," I said hesitantly before standing up.

"Wait," you said as you stood and followed. We walked. Your hand on my shoulder.

"You know, you never answered my question," you reminded me.

"What about?" I wondered.

You turned to face me and asked, "What will happen to us?"

I, kept silent.

You sighed. Your hands, slid down to your pockets.

In silence, we walked back to take a rest in blue.

... It lasted forever,
And ended so soon...

I'll always remember.

4 comments:

Dr. Jerome said...

sob...

citybuoy said...

don't you just love a good soundtrack? whatever happened to you guys? seems like a nice beginning. open communication lines is something you don't see very often.

Anonymous said...

yan ba yung reason?

Anonymous said...

*sigh*