Sunday, June 13, 2010

on speed dial

Every now and then, he'll throw heavy compliments like, "You're one of the few people I completely trust."

That's just how the Prince is. I never took him for one so it was surprising, albeit very heartwarming, the first time he mentioned it. For a guy, he is rather expressive, and I have to commend him for being just that.

Over a year ago, he was just a management trainee relegated to our team. With his boyish charm and supposed Koreanovela star look, he had everyone's attention. Well, save for mine. Yes, my spider sense doesn't tingle for the chinky-eyed ones. I belong to the minority for that matter. Anyway, one afternoon, he sought my help in constructing his e-mail reply to our boss and thus began my story with the Prince.

More than being colleagues, the Prince and I developed a certain kinship. The kind that I last had with Striker and Gracie. Quite similar, but not entirely the same. For five days a week, and even on Saturdays and Sundays at times, the Prince and I talked and had lunch and went out and waited for each other to finish so we can go home together.

We've seen each other laugh, and we've seen each other cry. Well, he has yet to see me do the latter but I have seen him shed a tear or two. Although, he did bear witness to my darkest nights.

Indeed, the amount of time spent together greatly impacts the strength of relationships people have. I believe I have forged a good one with the Prince but I never truly understood the significance of my role in his life until yesterday.
"Mak, parang sira ata yung brake ng kotse ko."

There was a hint of genuine panic in his voice. Alarmed, I put down Neil Gaimans' The Graveyard Book on my bed and bolted upright. Shit. I thought.

"Asan ka? Mag-isa ka lang ba," I threw him a barrage of questions. The clock read eleven minutes before noon so I assumed that he was just on his way to Bulacan.

"Stay calm," I reminded him. "Shift mo sa neutral then slowly lift the hand brake until mag-full stop ka," I added as I recalled my trouble shooting lesson.

"Sige, itabi ko lang 'to," he said. "Kinakabahan ako, Mak."

Despite being nervous myself, I tried to reassure him that it'll be alright. "Itabi mo muna yan. I'll call after a minute."

"Sige. Salamat ha," he said as he hung up the phone.

"Shit," I muttered. I waited but the seconds felt a lot longer than the usual. I was about to call him when the Prince's name flashed on X1's screen.

"Oh, okay ka na ba? Asan ka na?" I asked right away.

"Mak, itinabi ko na. Okay naman na. Hindi pa naman ako masyadong malayo sa bahay. I texted Dad na. Nagpasundo na lang ako sa driver."

"Buti naman," I said.

"Pasensya na ha. Natakot lang talaga ako kanina."

"Wala yun. Importante okay ka. Just wait for the driver at bagalan niyo lang pagmamaneho."

"Yup. Mabagal naman ako mag-drive kanina. Sige, tawagan kita pag nasa Bulacan na ako. Salamat ulit," he said.

"Ok," I replied. Honestly, I wanted to tell him off for calling me when he should have called someone who knows a lot more about driving. In any case, he was okay now and that's what matters.

I put X1 back on the drawer and tentatively reached for my book. It took some time for everything to sink in but now that it has, it actually felt nice that I was that important to the Prince. He was on the verge of being in an accident and his initial instinct was to call me; to think that I know nothing about driving.
I do feel a bit guilty though. If it weren't for the incident, I wouldn't have realized it at all.
"Mak! I had no signal sa open sea for the last four days pero hindi ko nakalimutan. Happy Birthday! So sorry for the late greeting. Stay young and stay as caring as ever. Thanks sa lahat. Alam mo na yun."
It was the Prince's message last May 11th.

Sometimes, I tend to overlook what is near by keeping my eyes fixed on something remote. I keep on searching for things, like love, when I already have good people, friends, like the Prince who has given me something more lasting.

Ngayon, alam ko na.

12 comments:

citybuoy said...

how sweet. a little confusing but sweet nonetheless. what do u make of his behavior?

engel said...

is this the same guy you didn't want to talk about before?

my-so-called-Quest said...

kinabahan ako nung nabasa ko ang prince. hehehe

so sino si the other prince? kwento!

Majojojo said...

ang sweet nya...=)

can we xlinks?

Anonymous said...

This is love, I must say!

scarlet said...

you're blessed with good friends, i hope you'll meet a lot along the way

MakMak said...

@citybuoy: It's how he shows his appreciation and gratitude, I guess.

MakMak said...

@engel: Nope. Marami silang (Prince excluded) na ayaw kong pag-usapan. Hahaha. :P

MakMak said...

@my-so-called-quest: Haha. Ibang Prince ko 'to, Doc! :P

MakMak said...

@Majojojo: Sure. :-)

MakMak said...

@goodboi: Yes. I am loved by many. :-)

MakMak said...

@scarlet: Yep. I just realized that and I couldn't be thankful enough.