Since Daine is not a big fan of sci-fi films (he's not a big fan of anything other than zombie-infested movies), it took me quite some time to convince him that we watch The Golden Compass. If it weren't for his interest in the Daemons, I'm pretty sure that he would have chosen Hitman that moment (not that I have anything against the latter since we did watch it the following weekend. and it was good!).
Going back, several weeks ago I sent him a link to the movie's official website wherein one can see his/her Daemon counterpart. I guess curiosity got the better of him as he checked the site and informed me that his was a tiger. Or fox. Pardon, but I already forgot it. Though I'm pretty sure tiger was mentioned during the discussion.
Anyway, as we watched the film I glanced at him a few times, as I usually do, to check his reaction. And to my surprise, he was enjoying it. This was confirmed when we had our after-movie chat. We were like kids complaining that the ending left us hanging (obviously there will be a sequel. or two.). I also asked him if he understood the concept of Dust as used in The Golden Compass (because I had no background of the film other than it features cute animals). He told me that it was a symbol for original sin. Adding further, he mentioned that the Church has criticized it for its anti-Catholic theme. Wow. All I meant it.
I could not quite comment on the controversy issue because I have not fully read Philip Pullman's books, and nor have I fully understood the movie adaptation. The latter introduced a lot of concepts but nothing was done on any of it leaving me confused. Plus, I'm pretty sure there were important parts in the book which were left out in the screenplay. Although we both enjoyed the movie, looking back, I have to say that it fell a bit short after doing some reading on the subject.
On a lighter note, meet my Daemon - Kyana:
isn't she cute?
No comments:
Post a Comment