"What I don't understand is that why would anyone need these numbers at this hour? Will they be making a decision tonight that will ensure growth by 2010? If that's the case then I'll go without a word. Otherwise, they can just... Hay. When I become the CFO, I won't make such silly, irrational demands from my people."
Like several other people, Striker found himself at the receiving end of my tirades once again.
"Nakakainis talaga! Wag silang magkakamaling, uhm, magkamali," I said before crossing the avenue. Fifteen minutes ago, I was already in bed, ready to call it a night when a colleague called.
"You need to come back. We need to finish everything tonight. Product is working late to accommodate us. Walang tulugan 'to," she said in a slightly enthused tone.
The mere fact that she exists irked me so I snapped, "Ha? Accommodate us? Seriously? Two days lang yung alloted time. We gave them four. Day fourteen na ngayon tapos 'accommodate us'." The line went silent until I began speaking again, "Anyway, can't I work from home? I'm still feeling a bit under the weather kaya umuwi ako kaagad. Besides, until the segments give me their targets hindi rin ako makaka-move forward sa process."
"They'll give it tonight. It's okay kung may access ka sa e-mail so you can coordinate and align with product. I also have to consolidate and send to Boss tonight," she said trying to get my sympathy.
"Okay." Then I hung up.
A few seconds after though, she called once again to say that I really need to be at the office. I was too pissed to answer so I mumbled "yeah, whatever" before dropping the call.
From this, one can infer that I am not a big fan of OTs. Well, I'm not. I am an eight-to-five child. I firmly believe that anything work-related should be finished within the office hours. Staying at the office for longer hours does not make you hardworking. On the contrary, it showcases that you're boring, and highly ineffective. But that's just a diligent person's opinion. This, however, does not mean that I'm not one to go the extra mile. I am so for those extra miles, and if OTs are it then yay for OTs. Just don't expect me to be there when I know that staying would be a complete and utter waste of my resources.
I am just a block away and I'm still unsure of how I will act as soon as I'm at the office.
"Keep your calm. Clever ka. Use it to your advantage," Striker reminded me.
It took me some time but I remembered my guiding principle just in time. Always finish stronger than you started. I've worked too damn hard to throw it all away, and the finish line is already within my reach for me to give up now. I can cut them into pieces later but for now, work beckons.
Instead of turning left, I went straight to Starbucks first to order four lattes.
Walang tulugan 'to.
3 comments:
okay lang mag-OT... isipin mo na lang, dagdag sweldo din yan...
kahit di mo naman kailangan.
@gillboard: Kaya lang wala na akong OT pay eh. :-) Puro salamat na lang yun natatanggap ko mula sa mga HL, minsan wala pa. :P
Hello, MakMak, new to your blog.
I understand why you rail at the instances when work demands your time over and above what's officially prescribed for it.
No one wants to spend their whole life at work. But sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.
If they're raping your time and there's nothing you can do about it, I suppose the next best course of action would be to lie down, close your eyes, and endure it. It's over faster that way, and the sooner it's over, the sooner you can resume your regularly-scheduled life.
Post a Comment