Thursday, September 17, 2009

glee

Yesterday I was asked, "What's your happiest moment?"

I felt pressured to come up with a brilliant answer. Five seconds into thinking, and I was still without one. My mind rummaged through each and every recent, imaginary Polaroid that catalog my memories, hoping to stumble upon a picture perfect moment -

the reconciliation... road trip to Baguio... seeing the Madz... being fearless... trusting best friends... shaping up... badminton Sundays... NYFD... stepping up at the office... movie dates... Tagaytay... Starbucks... seven-day birthday greetings...

But not a single one stood out. Don't get me wrong. I consider them all good times but nothing came close to my standard of a defining happy moment. Or at least, something was keeping me from choosing any one of those that I recalled.

It was saddening, and a bit frightening to be honest. There I was, boldly declaring my state of being happy and yet I couldn't give a straightforward reply to such a simple query.

I'm aware though, that most people, when asked that question, are unable to find an immediate answer. Ask them the opposite, and they'll readily provide you a list. It made me think. Perhaps, the human mind is built to recognize the low points in life, more than the good ones. Or worse, maybe, for some reason, we have forgotten the true and simplistic definition of being happy.

Maybe it's time I take a step back and figure out what makes me really happy first.

5 comments:

Eternal Wanderer... said...

Wow, you watched a Madz concert recently?

I haven't watched a formal concert of them in 2 years huhuhuhu

Anonymous said...

"Maybe it's time I take a step back and figure out what makes me really happy first."

Go dude.

Anonymous said...

This is a good reflection. You are right about seeing bad things clearly than good ones and it's a sign of pessimism syndrome.

Maybe you can start those moments when you uncontrollably laugh out louds - which are simple happiness - before dwelling further into complications, the deeper meaning of happiness. :-)

And I bid you a happy searching. Cheers!

engel said...

people tend to remember the bad days because that's where you learn the most.

not being able to point out a superlative (happiest moment), that's normal. every event has it's own high point.

i have several happiest moments. sometimes being shallow has it's good points i guess. =)

pipou said...

maybe it's difficult to answer the happiest moment we had because we have a lot of happy moments compared to sad ones..;)