"So did you pass your resignation yet?" I asked G as I tried to make small talk. We were the only ones left at the table as KC went to the wash room and PaulPaul and Jay went out to smoke. "I'm happy that you got what you've been wanting for so long. Excited na ako sa'yo."
"Hindi pa. Hindi nga ako masyadong excited eh," he said sounding a lot confounded.
And even though I already know the answer, I just had to ask, "Why? Dahil ba sa possibility that they would offer you guys redundancy?"
"Medyo," he answered nonchalantly.
Hay.
I took a sip from the bottle before I continued. "Do you know the story of The 99 Club?"
"Ano yun?" He asked wide-eyed, seemingly curious, just like how he usually is.
"There's this king who, despite his status, was neither happy nor content. One day, he came upon a servant who was singing happily while he worked. The king was fascinated - he, the Ruler of the land was basking in gloom while this lowly worker is gleeful.
He just had to know why this servant was so happy. The worker said that he may be just a lowly servant but his family doesn't need too much - just the basic necessities such as a house and a complete meal every day. The king was not satisfied with this answer so he hurried to his most trusted advisor to seek their counsel.
After listening to the story, the advisor said that this was because the servant has not yet been made part of The 99 Club. In order for the king to fully understand, he suggested that he should place 99 gold coings in a bag and leave it by the servant's doorsteps.
This he did the following day. The servant saw the bag, took it inside and jumped for joy when he found out what was inside - gold coins! He laid them all out and began counting. Again. And again. Until he concluded that there were only 99 gold coins. And by this time, he was wondering where the last coin was - surely no one would leave just 99 coins.
He looked everywhere but that final gold coin was obviously hard to find. So he took it upon himself that he would earn it so that the bag would be complete. From that day on, his life has changed. He pushed himself to work a lot harder thus he started becoming grumpy. He also criticized his entire family for not helping him earn that 100th gold coin.
The king has witnessed this transformation and sought his advisor once more. The latter said that the servant is now a part of The 99 Club whose members thereof are those people who have enough to be happy but are never contented because they're always yearning for that extra 1."
It was a mouthful so I had to take another swig before I concluded my story.
"G, we can be happy even with very little in our lives. Don't let these circumstances make you want more. Remember that greed can be your downfall. Fate has already offered you her hand, and yet from how I see it, you're actually aiming to take her entire limb. I'm not here to judge you or tell you what to do, but just be conscientious. You can earn what you're expecting to be paid in what, two months time? Think it through. Fate has a funny way of giving us life lessons. Remember that. You've wanted this job for the longest time."
I ended just in time when the three came back.
And so the inuman went on.
10 comments:
but is it that sooo bad to look for the missing one?
yeah right mak...be contented with what you have....:)
umiinom ka pla ha! tsk
great story btw kuya=]
G, thank God for giving you a great friend like kuya mak.=]
@ika: Hello! Hmmm, is it that sooo bad? I don't think so, it still depends on the circumstances. In this case, I think his actions are driven by greed (sorry for being blatant) so I have to point it out to him.
@white: Opo, kuya. ^^
@cedeux: Uu. Tubig. Evian. Lol.
Thanks Doc! Aw. Great friend. Lol.
This is the first time I read about that 99 club story... ang ganda...
and it applies to people of all ages i think, kahit toddlers 3-5 years old... hehe
just think about it, kung lahat ng tao behaves like the servant before he became grumpy, the word could be a better place...
yepyep. try to be contented with what u have. pero hindi naman masama ang maghnap ng iba pa. bsta hindi lang sumobra. :)
@negi: Yep, ganda talaga kung ganun yung mindset ng tao. But then again, pangit din naman yung sobrang "ideal" ng mundo... Walang conflict = walang spice ang life.
@jm: Yup. Oks lang mag-strive for the P1 pero dapat nasa lugar. :)
Post a Comment