Saturday, July 5, 2008

departure (epilogue)

Two months after my departure, the team which I used to belong to has now been reduced to a cast of five from its complete headcount of twelve. In that short span of time, four other key persons resigned rendering the team effectively, almost-dissolved.

I'm hoping that by now, our regional counterparts as well as some members of the upper management have received the message that the Manila team has been trying to get across -
For all the times that you've made us feel like we're mere drones incapable of forming our own thoughts;

For all the times that we have to clean up the mess that you've made due to your inconsistencies and incompetence;

For questioning our performance evaluation scores and subsequently taking money from our bonus and merit increase pool;

And for thinking that we're cheap enough to be bought by your measly monetary bribe -

F*** you!

It may sound that I am bitter because I am. I remember telling my mom back in October 2006 that I've finally landed the job that I really want, the company which I can see myself with for the next couple of years. I guess I spoke too soon.

The team may have had differences and tiny squabbles in the past but it's all part of the learning and growing process. To say that the past year and a half of being with the company was all smooth-sailing would be a lie. But everything happens for a reason. And I'm actually thankful those things happened for it wouldn't have turned out this way if not for those events.

KC is now a Finance Director for a multinational real estate management company. G and Van are now in Singapore taking on the roles of a consultant and a Financial Analyst, respectively. Petra will be going back to Singapore as well to finally choose which company she would be joining. Manolito managed to go to the States. PaulPaul is, well, studying for the board exams again. He's a rich kid, he'll manage. As for myself, my new function is everything that I could wish for par managing people. The people around me may suck badly but "work" wise, it couldn't get any better than this.

As for the five who were left behind, Maan is just waiting for her Australian Visa and jTrio for her US Visa. Pinay will be tendering her resignation when she comes back from her maternity leave. Jay has plans to move to another department and Chie will be leaving for some small country in Europe to join her boyfriend.

As I've mentioned in my farewell letter, I couldn't have asked for a better group of highly skilled and well-equipped individuals for a team. Everyone is as professional as professional can be. Note that I sent the letter post-Manolito's departure. Anyway, everyone's marketable in their own way, so it's not improbable that everyone can land a job as quick as a finger snap.

But it is still sad that perhaps, in a few months, I won't have anyone to visit in that building. I won't have a reason to be there.

No more Expense team PSP challenges, extended lunch breaks, yosi breaks with PaulPaul and Jay, Saturday overtime with the Revenue team, out-of-town trips, merienda-turned-inuman sessions, discussions of the latest episodes of various non-local TV shows, random photo shoots, and karaoke nights. Now I have to say bye bye to all those things. The same goes to the nice eye candies of the company. They're too many to mention.


Though I know that in time it'll sink in that it is not the people whom I'll be missing but the good and bad times I've spent with everyone. And hopefully by then, I'll be making new memories wherever I may be and whomever I may be with.

But for now, I'll just have to focus on making KC's despedida the best party of the year. It'll be hot.

No comments: