Friday, July 25, 2008

geekgasm: national museum of natural history

I grew up wanting a Stegosaurus as a pet so just imagine how overly delighted I was when I stepped inside the National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C.. I must have died and went to heaven. To think that I'm already amazed at our own museums, then it is suffice to say that what the US has to offer is beyond amazing. I was like a wide-eyed, 5 foot 9 kid staring at the gargantuan elephant displayed in the rotunda. And it took all of my will power to keep myself from drooling. I've never been this excited since Daine and I had PeX (that's the Palawan EXperience, perv).


The museum had a lot of visitors that time, mostly of the annoying, underage kind. My companion, who invited himself to my weekend in Washington, decided to sit this one as he was still sleepy. He told me to take my time. Of course I'd take my sweet time, we're in a museum!

So I left him and started my way towards the Hall of the Dinosaurs where the Earth's pre-history is told via the numerous diorama and replicas of the early fauna and flaura that abound the world. The exhibits tell a lot of facts about their existence and theories about their subsequent extinction or sudden disappearance. Life-size fossils of the great Tyrannosaurus Rex, Stegosaurus, Triceratops and that of an adult Littlefoot (I'm not quite sure if it was a Diplodocus or a Brachiosaurus, or Apatosaurus) are displayed at the center isle.



After getting fed up with bones (there are a lot of them, it after all), I went to the Hall of the Mammals which is pretty much like a blown up version of the center portion of Toy Kingdom in SM Megamall. Either they were encased in glass shelves, or depicted as if they were in their natural habitat, the museum's stuffed animals are just so adorable that I ended up taking pictures of every one of them. That day alone, I had about five hundred shots and only five had my face or some other body part on it.


It was about four in the afternoon when I decided to check up on that guy I'm with. He was standing by the concierge looking all irate probably because a) it took me approximately four hours to tour the first floor of the museum (there's another floor or so), and b) it is raining like hell and he didn't bring a jacket nor an umbrella. Laugh trip. Sadly though, the museum is selling raincoats. Bright side, it was unreasonably priced.

"Uwi na tayo. Umuulan na at baka hindi natin maabutan yung bus," he suggested as he opened the raincoat he just bought. But as we stepped out of the museum doors, the rain stopped as well. So I took off my hood and whispered loudly, "Yay! It stopped raining!

Aboard the Metro.

I was busy taking pictures of myself when I realized that I wasn't able to check up on the uninvited. So I asked with a tone of concern in my voice, "You did have fun, right?"

Click. "Don't worry, next time we'll visit clubs," I added.

As if.

No comments: