"Touch My Body", Carey's 18th number one single breaks the tie with Elvis Presley for most number ones by a solo artist in the rock era. Also, this ranks her second only to The Beatles who have 20. With 78 weeks at the top spot, Carey is also two weeks shy of beating Presley's record for the most cumulative weeks on the Hot 100. And as a songwriter, she claims third place for songwriters with the most number one hits behind Paul McCartney (32) and John Lennon (26).
*******
Mariah Carey certainly have enough reasons to be festive this year - another chart topper single (coincidentally her 18th in her 18th year in the industry) from the most-anticipated release of 2008 - "E=MC²" (the follow-up to the successful comeback "The Emancipation Of Mimi"), which is of course expected to hit the summit of the Billboard Hot 200 albums chart. Not to mention the number of movie appearances (Tennessee, Don't Mess With The Zohan (with Adam Sandler), Push) and TV guestings (American Idol, Friday Night Project, etc.), and of course the inevitable records that will be broken and the numerous awards to follow within the next few months. It would be safe to say that 2008 is once more, the year of Mariah.

Technically speaking, Carey have had one number one single every year since she debuted in 1990.
Named by New York Times as the Magna Carta of melisma (a technique of changing the note of a single syllable of a text while it is being sung), "Vision Of Love" opens with its sci-fi'ish sequence which then quickly launches into her powerhouse vocal acrobatics. It wasn't until the late 90s when I saw her performance in Madison Square Garden that I was wowed with this song. It was so breathtaking. And since then, she never failed to impress me whenever she sings this live. This is the number one reason why she is THE diva.... Had to be strong. So I believed. And now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived...
"Love Takes Time" was actually the first Mariah Carey song that I've heard. Of course back then I didn't know (and couldn't care less - I was freaking 8 years old) who owned the voice behind the song. It was a last minute addition to Carey's debut album after the executives at her record label insisted that this "career-maker" be included. Walter Afanasieff, a then-struggling producer, was assigned to work on the song. Thanks to them, a karaoke-favorite was born.... Lord I'm needing you now. Tell me how to stop the rain. Tears are falling down endlessly...
The original "Shake It Off", "Someday" is an empowering jackswing-influenced track for those who have been dumped. I think that the original music video for this has been pulled out because apparently she is ashamed of it (read: Carey dancing, for real). But I'll make do with her performance on Unplugged. It's just absolutely flawless.... You were so blind to let me go. You had it all but didn't know. No one you'll ever find will be closer to all your dreams than me...
"I Don't Wanna Cry" showcases the powerful lower range of Carey's voice. It has that Latin-vibe to it which adds more sultriness. Slightly reminiscent of George Michael's "Careless Whisper" and in my opinion, the predecessor of "My All". Carey have mentioned her dislike of the song, thus it is rarely sung during her performances. Sad, because the song is just so beautiful.... We can make a million promises but we still won't change. It isn't right to stay together when we only bring each other pain...
The debut single off her second album, "Emotions" contains an irresistible, bouncy bass line with a borrowed celebratory feel of Emotions' "Best Of My Love" (Carey's homage to the group). As described by People Weekly, "...Emotions has soaring notes that most singers could not reach from the top of the Empire State Building". Winner.... I don't know if you're for real but I like the way I feel inside...
Sadly, no other single from "Emotions" managed to climb the top spot. "I'll Be There" was a last minute addition to her set list for MTV Unplugged back in May 1992. No one could have predicted the impact of this duet (with her back-up singer, Trey Lorenz). With an overwhelming request from the fans, Columbia quickly released it as a single. Carey totally made this 20-year-old Jackson 5 song her own as it was considered her breakthrough single in numerous markets outside of the Americas.... If you should ever find someone new, I know he'd better be good to you 'cos if he doesn't, I'll be there...
TO BE CONTINUED.
4 comments:
hey, i read on someone else's blog about your comment on mariah vs madonna.
i'm a mariah fan as well. Since i heard always be my baby, i really really like her. =]
let's cheers for more success, more chart topping and music history breaking moments for mariah.
its weird if i say this, i'm a straight guy but i can't listen to her music in public or put some of her music in my player. some people may misinterpret that. but the hell with them, i listen to her specially when i'm down=]
ingats palagi=]
i love Mariah, i do!!
shes the best!
@cedeux: Aw. Thanks for visiting my blog!
Why would you be ashamed of listening to Mariah's music? Music is universal. I know straight people who listen to Kylie Minogue and Cher. And compared to those two, Mariah is a safer. Wag ka na lang sumabay kumanta kapag Loverboy - "uuh huh uuh huh baby...". Hehe.
Anyway, I believe that E=MC2 will break records left and right this year. Cheers!
@mink: Aw. Opo. Love her, love her. Ehehehe.
Post a Comment