Saturday, June 7, 2008

first saturday: meeting maria

I had to resist sleep. The last thing that I need is a jetlag. In this case, however it is inevitable but I might as well try to adjust to the time here as soon as possible. I have lots of things planned out for this trip and I need to be fully awake in order to accomplish them all. Of course.

So I dressed up and hurried out, all ready to do some exploring. But I dashed back to my room and grabbed a jacket.

I forgot how chilly the wind here is even if it's like twelve in the afternoon. And since I have a very low tolerance for cold, I needed a jacket at the risk of looking stupid amidst a crowd of Americans who, at this point, are wearing their skimpiest and thinnest clothes. I guess that blending in is already out of the question. For now.

The apartment is located on a semi-residential area, and a few blocks away is Gaitherburg's strip mall which consists of a movie theater, a health and sports club, bars and restaurants located by the lake, a bookstore, boutiques, and retail stores like Target and Kohl's, that provide the essential commodities and services to the town's residents.

Strip malls are cute. They're so suburban. I'm not quite sure if there is one in the Philippines unless we count outlet stores and the likes of Quiapo, Baclaran and Divisoria where retail/wholesale business establishments abound.

Anyway, I went into Kohl's first and not long after, I overheard two sales ladies talking by the shirts section. In Tagalog. Sabi na nga ba I'll meet a Pinoy here in Maryland sooner or later eh. I approached them and said hi.

"So how's the Philippines," the older woman asked as she continued folding the shirts. "Anong bago sa atin?"

"Let me see. When was the last time you came home?"

"2000."

I tried to think of something relevant but nothing came to mind. "Heart Evangelista is now a Kapuso?"

"Ah. Ayaw ko sa kanya. Sobrang arte. Kapamilya kami. Wowowee nga pinapanuod namin kapag may gathering kami dito. And speaking of, punta ka sa Saturday. We're having this dance. A sort of fund-raising project for our friend who needs to undergo chemo," the other lady replied. "Kailan ka pa dito? Mag-aaral ka?"

"Ah hindi po." Sabay blush. "I'm here on a business trip. I just got here last night. I barely had a full night's sleep yet."

"Jetlag? Nako tama yan. Wag kang magkulong sa kwarto mo. Maglakad-lakad ka. In a week's time, ok ka na."

"Opo. Ah, ate..."

"Maria. I'm Maria. And she's Rita," said the younger-looking lady.

"Ate Maria, do we have like a bigger mall, anywhere near? There's a Target down the street where I can do my groceries but like you know, stores like GAP or Old Navy and stuff?"

"Ah. You can go to Westfield Montgomery or in Lakeforest. I'm just not sure which bus you should be taking," she paused and looked for Rita who seems to have disappeared. "Tanong natin kay Ate, baka alam niya."

Apparently, she went a few racks to the left where she's now returning the clothes that she was folding earlier. "I'm off by three. If you want, puwede kitang i-drop off doon. On the way naman. Ikot ka muna tapos balik ka dito and look for me."

"Ayan. That's a good idea. Just look around first," Maria seconded. "Oh, here, get my number just in case. Do not hesitate to call me in case you need something. Saka yung sa Sabado ha. Punta kayo. They'll be glad to see you guys."

"Sige po. Salamat ate. Balik na lang po ako in case. Ikot muna."

The conversation actually went on longer than what I wrote in here. We talked about the reality that is America and compared the lifestyle of living here and in the Philippines. They gave me tips and pointers on how to go about, on how I'd be able to blend in. But most importantly, they made me feel welcome.

That's one good thing about Filipinos abroad. I've often heard how receptive and hospitable they are with the newbies who come in. I guess it's mutualistic - where each party thinks of the other as the closest, or latest thing that he or she can call home.

But I'm sure not all Filipinos are like that. I'm glad that I've come across two that are. It's just my luck.

No comments: