Thursday, June 26, 2008

great and grating karaoke songs, pt. II

GREAT:

10. STOP, Spice Girls
It was never about vocal skills with the Spice Girls. Even with mediocre talent, they managed to produce the finest pop tracks in the 90s. And I do believe that there was a point in time that Girl Power did rule the world - it was when everyone was singing and dancing along to their tunes, munching on Spice chocolates and bubblegum, and wearing platform boots, leopard prints and all that jazz. However, it all ended when they released the movie, Spiceworld. Sad, but I still love them.

09. I WANT YOU BACK, The Jackson 5
I have to give Will Makar credit for reminding me how much I adore this song. When he performed this song in the top 24 elimination in the sixth season of American Idol, I immediately uploaded this track to my Ipod, and looked for a pair of roller skates.

08. BEAUTIFUL SOUL, Jesse McCartney
What I love about Beautiful Soul, other than it was sung by Jesse McCartney, is that it is fairly easy to sing. Well, most of his songs are actually easy to sing. Anyway, Beautiful Soul is one of the tracks that I believe, would sound good played with just an acoustic guitar.

07. HELP ME, Nick Carter
Believe it or not, Nick Carter has a very nice, distinct voice. Much like Bryan Adams, his is suited for rock-based ballads instead of the pop hits that his group has churned out for the past decade or so. I don't know why, but I love the bridge of Help Me. It's like an attempt at a toned-down tongue twister.

06. THE GAME OF LOVE, Santana feat. Michelle Branch
I also love Smooth but if I had to choose one Santana song that I enjoy singing, I'd pick The Game Of Love. And this is just because it's much more fun trying to pull a Michelle Branch than a Rob Thomas. Take it this way, Thomas is like a tiger growling in Smooth whereas Branch is like a kitten, purring in The Game Of Love. And I like the subtlety of her purrs.

GRATING:

10. SEXYBACK, Justin Timberlake feat. Timbaland
First of all, Justin Timberlake did not bring sexy back. Not with this song, nor with any of his other singles post-sexyback. Not especially with his new song, the one that features Madonna. I don't know why I sang this but it felt right at that time.

09. BUTTERFLY, Mariah Carey
It is seldom that I would attempt to do a Mariah number. One, it's a futile attempt because no one can ever do a successful Mariah other than Mariah herself. CoughLeonaLewisCough. Not even in karaoke. But back in the summer of 98, I was singing Butterfly, pouring all my heart and soul into it, when my aunt knocked on my door and told me to keep it down. I forgot that it was Good Friday.

08. CAN'T LOSE YOU, F4
I was never a big fan of Meteor Garden, much more of F4. Except for Vic Zhou. I love his hairstyle. Anyway, I caught up with the popularity of the song after having to listen to it every ten freaking minutes. It was everywhere! Anyway, I couldn't care less if I got the words right. I mean nobody could have cared less what those four were singing right? They were all busy drooling over Dao Ming Si(!) and Hua Ze Lei(!).

07. BELIEVE, Cher
This goes out to Gracie for she totally thinks that this song is the awesomeness. It was awesome right, back when Cher was still wearing her real hair. That is a wig right?

06. MY HUMPS, The Black Eyed Peas
This is what you resort to when you've had one too many karaoke sessions in RedBox that you have sung 80% of the decent songs available in their database. I have to say that it is a catchy, and rather bouncy song.

TO BE CONTINUED.

4 comments:

. said...

I only found respect for Michelle Branch as a singing artist after she collaborated with Santana.

As for Cher's Believe. It's a classic!

KRIS JASPER said...

nice selections...

eerie... kasi parang pareho tayo... mga 6/10.

MakMak said...

@mugen: Aw. Well, better late than never. Michelle Branch is a very good singer/songwriter. Admittedly, it took me quite some time to appreciate her kasi naman kung itatabi mo siya sa mga tulad ni McLachlan at Jewel walang kwenta yung writing skills niya.

Pero still, astig siya.

MakMak said...

@kris jasper van dyke: Eerie? Ganun. Lol.