EW.com recently featured its top picks for the Ten Great (and Ten Grating) Karaoke songs.
I Want It That Way (Backstreet Boys), Before He Cheats (Carrie Underwood) and It's All Coming Back To Me Now (Celine Dion) garnered favorable reviews and scored a spot on the classic list of Karaoke tunes. Meanwhile, readers were advised to avoid singing songs such as Vision Of Love (Mariah Carey), Rehab (Amy Winehouse) and Hollaback Girl (Gwen Stefani) due to a very complex level of difficulty or just its sheer ridiculousness.
*******
I love singing so naturally, I love to do karaoke. It's the only avenue wherein I won't be mocked even if I burst my vocal chords from trying to reach the correct key. I can sing off key and I'd still receive an applause after the performance. A standing ovation if I bust a move on a happy song, or emote on a sad, love song. Another good thing is that you can choose from a wide variety of songs from all genres - whether it be a sappy, emo song from Aegis or an alternative how-the-hell-do-I-sing-this track from Bjork - and nobody will judge you, because karaoke is all about fun. Sometimes, it's about singing too.
What's more fun other than the actual singing however, is making up my own list of great and grating songs from those that I've actually had the chance to sing.
Songs that almost always, never leave my repertoire would fall under "Great". I so love them that I'd sing them to death if possible. But my listeners need variety, so there.
GREAT Runners-up:
15. BARENAKED, Jennifer Love Hewitt
14. OOPS!... I DID IT AGAIN, Britney Spears
13. I DO (CHERISH YOU), 98 Degrees
12. PICTURE OF YOU, Boyzone
11. I WANT IT THAT WAY, Backstreet Boys
And as for those which I sang because I had, at that time, overflowing chutzpah, they'd fall under "Granting". They're the "OMFG-I-can't-believe-I-did-that" songs.
GRATING Runners-up:
15. TO WHERE YOU ARE, Josh Groban
14. ALONE, Heart
13. GRACE KELLY, Mika
12. DEJA VU, Beyonce feat. Jay-Z
11. BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, Sean Kingston
TO BE CONTINUED.
12 comments:
Believe it or not, I've only done Karaoke once! At di pa ako kumanta ha (so I guess that doesn't count does it?). The one time I went was when my friends and post celebrated my 18th birthday and sobrang nahihiya akong kumanta with the mic kaya sa nakikisabay lang ako sa tabi tabi.. hahaha!
But yeah, I should definitely go do that more often!
tara magvideoke!
kakantahin ko lng drive ng incubus. hehehe
Tuwa naman ako. "To Where You Are" lang ang kaya ko sa listahan mo. Di ko nga alam kung ano tono ng iba. Obvious bang sa ibang mundo ako galing? :-)
karaoke huh....yung gratings mo yun mga greats ko heheheh LOL and vice versa
well, you can sing anything and in any way you want it with karaoke. palakasan na lang ng boses hehe
tara videoke tayo GOGOGO!
@karen: Once??? OMG, you're missing a big chunk of your life. Masaya mag-videoke. Ask Bom. :P
Kami ang mga adik sa RedBox. Especially tuwing AmIdol season. Lol. Kung anu-ano mga pakulo namin.
Sama ka minsan. Lol. Kung willing kang i-risk ang pandinig mo. Ehehehe.
@ced: Aw. Kakanta ka ha?!
@R-yo: Maganda ang "To Where You Are" no? ^^,
Nasama ko lang sa gratings ko kasi me naalala akong komento ng pinsan ko saken nung kinanta ko siya, kaya ayun. Lol. Pero kinakanta ko pa rin yun.
Yung iba? Mas gusto ko kasi ung mga pop contemporaries kesa sa standards. Lol. Mas challenging.
@white: Aw. Gratings ko ay yung mga greats mo? Wait till you see my Top 10 Gratings, then tell me kung greats mo din sila. :P
@turismoboi: CJ!!! ^^,
Sure! When I go home to the Phils, I'll make sure I let you guys know para naman you can show me the ropes of Karaoke. =)
Haaay.. I miss the Philippines talaga.
@karen: Sure, sure. Or we can always go to Canada. Lol. ^^,
Post a Comment