"Maaaaaaaaaaarky!"
A familiar face stood from the adjacent table and walked towards the young man who was about to eat a french fry. He dropped the fry, wiped his fingers on the tissue and removed his earphones. He stood up as the other man stepped near him and reached for his hand.
"Hey! How are you?" Mak said as he reached out his hand towards the guy in front of him.
"I'm good! Ikaw? Saan ka na ngayon?" He greeted as he shook Mak's hand, followed by several weird hand gestures, like they were two frat dudes.
Dumbfounded, Mak motioned for his friend to join him. "I'm fine. Just having a quick lunch. I craved for their fries eh." He said offering him his food. "Oh, and I just started working for this company. How about you? You took up nursing right?"
"Yeah, but I never practiced it. Ang hirap kasing maghanap ng trabaho tapos mababa pa ang suweldo..." And so he went on talking about how he found success through his current business venture. "I was able to go to the States because of it. May ten-year multiple Visa na ako!"
Uhm, me too. Mak thought. "Right."
"Meron na rin akong kotse. Saka tingnan mo ang kinis ko na." He said beaming, proudly showing off his unblemished face.
"I've noticed that." Mak said grinning. His friend has indeed changed. He was no longer the scrawny pubescent who used to do vocal runs ala-Regine Velasquez, or was it ala-Mariah Carey. Not a meter from where he's sitting is a guy whose hair has been dyed brown which ultimately works to his advantage as he is already fair-skinned to begin with. His face has indeed become flawless barring the freckles. He was wearing a form-fitting white polo which greatly accentuates his nicely-toned upper body. And his voice, he was deliberately talking in a richer and deeper timbre - something that he has used back in High School, when he was conversing with other people. And by people, he means girls. Man, has he changed.
He laughed and took out his mobile unit. "Hey, let me get your number. We should go out sometime. I've been trying to contact the others pero hindi ko na sila mahagilap."
After they swapped numbers, the two talked for a couple more minutes before Mak's friend excused himself to go back to his table where his business associates were waiting. "Anong oras ka umuuwi?"
"5:30. It depends. Why?" Mak asked.
"I'll see you Monday?"
"Ah?"
"Put it down on your schedule na para hindi mo makalimutan. Doon ka pa rin ba nakatira? Sa Power Plant na lang tayo. UCC. Masarap coffee doon." He said smiling. "Sige, see you!"
Left alone, Mak was now free to resume eating his lunch. Not that he still had the appetite for it. The accidental meeting gave him several bright ideas, one of which is to call his High School friends and arrange for a lunch date the following day. He checked his watch and saw that it was already quarter to two. He stood up and left the meal which he barely touched.
For him, change has never been more enticing after the day's events.
TO BE CONTINUED.
4 comments:
for once, gusto ko'ng maiyak... sobrang nakakarelate ako dito sa post na ito... weird lang. sana parehas tayo ng nararamdaman..
parang di ka nakareact nung sinabing "I'll see you Monday!" heheheh!
at inimagine ko nung nag handshak e kau. heheh
@wanderingcommuter: Hmm. Ano ba naramdaman mo?
I wouldn't exactly know unless you tell me. :)
@my-so-called quest: Hahaha. Sorry naman sa handshake. Naiilang talaga ako sa mga ganoon. Para kasing, I don't know, TH. Hehehe.
Post a Comment