Monday, February 2, 2009

lovebug: 14 days to love (day 2)

WE DO ALMOST EVERYTHING THAT LOVERS DO


You and I are gonna be the greatest musical manager team since Jessica Simpson and her father only you and I get to "mreow" and they can't, 'cause it's illegal. I looked it up.

That's Samantha James (Anna Faris) talking to Chris Brander (Ryan Reynolds). She's funny without even trying. And her being funny constitutes, more or less, three quarters of the reason why I love the movie Just Friends. However, she has nothing to do with what I'm about to point out. I needed a segue and Samantha James is just that.

As I have mentioned, I love Just Friends. It ranks way up on my favorite list with the likes of Mean Girls and Coyote Ugly - movies that I can just watch over and over again. In fact, I think I have seen it so many times that I already know the screenplay by heart. Loser, much? I know!

Anyway, there's this guy Chris who's BFF with Jamie Palamino (Amy Smart) back in High School. When he confessed his love to her, she turned him down and said that she loves him like a brother. Obviously, he was devastated and heartbroken. He moved to LA and became an attractive and successful music manager. Due to a plane accident, he ended up staying at his hometown for a couple of days. He encounters his old friends, including Jaime, and decides that he won't settle to being just friends this time.

Some people say that friends shouldn't fancy each other. But who can blame Chris for falling for his best friend? There's always that big chance for a circumstance like this to happen. It's perfectly logical if you think about it. Who is in the better position to love someone other than the person whom someone has an affinity to begin with, a person whom someone has spent countless hours growing up and learning things with, a person whom someone has shared bouts of laughter and tears with, a person who has selflessly cared for that someone day in and day out? So far, I don't see any flaw in the set up. Not especially if the bond between the two persons has been established in strong foundation.

In reality though, not all stories have ever afters. So yes, it's a risk. It's a very huge risk. But sometimes, it's all worth it. One wouldn't know if it's a timeless love story waiting to be uncovered unless one tries.

Chris did. And he got his happy ever after.

That's the other 25%.

I would hate for you to find somebody new, who you really love 'cause it could mean losing you. But am I a fool girl not to say. If I'm always scared I'll lose you anyway.
- 98 Degrees, Why (Are We Still Friends)

6 comments:

gillboard said...

"Friends don't fancy each other."

ouch...

my-so-called-Quest said...

wow! sige e-mail na rin kita kuya para mapaiba naman! hehehe

Anonymous said...

..but sometimes its all worth it.
i hope so.

Some people say that friends shouldn't fancy each other..wala naman atang batas na nagbabawal dito,hehe!

btw,fave ko rin ang Coyote Ugly.

MakMak said...

@gillboard: Uy, hindi ako naniniwala din dun. Haha.

MakMak said...

@my-so-called quest: Yup. E-mail mo ko saka text saka tawag. Hahaha. Make me feel special. LOL.

MakMak said...

@teresa: Wala nga. Just let nature take its course. Wala naman makakapagsabi kung anu mangyayari di ba? :)

I love Coyote Ugly. Wag gaya-gaya. Ehehe.