YOU'RE IN MY ARMS AND ALL THE WORLD IS CALM (PART II)
"The kiss, is this how it feels as a ghost?"
Margaret chuckled. "I have learned to deal with it. I encounter people on occasion, but it is my lot in this... life," she said. "And tonight, you're here with me. I wished for this for a long time."
Tyler nodded. "As have I."
The night was wonderful and everything was going all right. But time slipped so quickly when they both realized that it was already dawn.
"Margaret," Tyler said. "I think I..."
"Shh," Margaret hushed him. "You need to be with someone real. You cannot be sustained by these fantasies. You'll understand someday."
"Then I want to remember," Tyler remarked.
"You what?"
"Don't take this away from me, Margaret." Tyler sobbed. "For years I have waited to feel like this. I knew that this was bound to not last. So I want to remember. Please."
Margaret thought about it for a time, then nodded. "As you wish," she whispered, and kissed Tyler again. Once more, everything in his line of sight faded into the bright light.
*******
Tyler found himself on the floor of the keep. The cold stone against his back woke him up. He blinked, as if coming out of a dream. His eyes searching for the sparse stream of light coming from the tiny cracks in the castle walls. Regaining his breath, he turned over and jumped at the sound of feet against the earth. He stood up feeling his entire body sore and realized what happened. He must have slipped from the stairs and landed with all these rubble, losing consciousness in the process. But it doesn't explain the vivid thoughts that lingered - the kiss, the night's festivities, the jovial music, her scent. But it doesn't make any sense.
"Hey, you're awake!" A voice called out and stirred him from his position. "You had me worried, you know."
As he looked towards his companion, he shrugged off all those distracting thoughts. None of it mattered anyway.
Let's go on, on dreaming for we know we are - so close and still so far.
- Jon McLaughlin, So Close
"The kiss, is this how it feels as a ghost?"
Margaret chuckled. "I have learned to deal with it. I encounter people on occasion, but it is my lot in this... life," she said. "And tonight, you're here with me. I wished for this for a long time."
Tyler nodded. "As have I."
The night was wonderful and everything was going all right. But time slipped so quickly when they both realized that it was already dawn.
"Margaret," Tyler said. "I think I..."
"Shh," Margaret hushed him. "You need to be with someone real. You cannot be sustained by these fantasies. You'll understand someday."
"Then I want to remember," Tyler remarked.
"You what?"
"Don't take this away from me, Margaret." Tyler sobbed. "For years I have waited to feel like this. I knew that this was bound to not last. So I want to remember. Please."
Margaret thought about it for a time, then nodded. "As you wish," she whispered, and kissed Tyler again. Once more, everything in his line of sight faded into the bright light.
*******
Tyler found himself on the floor of the keep. The cold stone against his back woke him up. He blinked, as if coming out of a dream. His eyes searching for the sparse stream of light coming from the tiny cracks in the castle walls. Regaining his breath, he turned over and jumped at the sound of feet against the earth. He stood up feeling his entire body sore and realized what happened. He must have slipped from the stairs and landed with all these rubble, losing consciousness in the process. But it doesn't explain the vivid thoughts that lingered - the kiss, the night's festivities, the jovial music, her scent. But it doesn't make any sense.
"Hey, you're awake!" A voice called out and stirred him from his position. "You had me worried, you know."
As he looked towards his companion, he shrugged off all those distracting thoughts. None of it mattered anyway.
Let's go on, on dreaming for we know we are - so close and still so far.
- Jon McLaughlin, So Close
No comments:
Post a Comment