STRONGER WOMANJewel
Perfectly Clear
Rating: A
There's one thing you might not know about Jewel - after finishing her contract with Warner, she left the Pop world to pursue Country. Now that it has been cleared, let me say that her debut Country single, Stronger Woman, is not that big a departure from the mainstream radio, lyrically and vocally.
In an interview, she mentioned that the inspiration behind the song was a statement she heard on the radio - men have only two emotions - hungry or horny. And from this, she let her ever-impressive storytelling ability weave an empowering folk-sounding anthem for all them ladies who's always been with one of those guys (you know the type). And to make it country-friendly, some banjoes and steel guitars were predictably added.
What mainstream radio ignored is definitely Country's gain. Although her crossover from Pop isn't analogous to her retiring, it still saddens me that a true talent like Jewel is easily toppled over by commercial, manufactured music nowadays.
*******
I guess you could say I'm one of those girls who's always been with one of those guys, you know the type - like right now he sleeps while I write.
But it's better than crying, warn out from trying from loving a man who always makes it clear I am not welcome here. Just till he's hungry or frisky or needs something clean. You know what I mean.
No comments:
Post a Comment