TOUCH MY BODYMariah Carey
E=MC²
Rating: A
Frankly, I was underwhelmed when I first heard Touch My Body, the debut single off Mariah's new album (tentatively due on April 15), E=MC². But then again, I've been so used to her releasing power pop tunes as carrier singles (save for Vision Of Love, and the Through The Rain) that I wasn't expecting a generic-sounding, r&b track from her. I am trying to refrain from shouting, "anyone could've recorded this track". But then again, I realize that nobody could've pulled off this track better than MC. Nobody in the industry is believable (or feminine) enough to be heard singing lines (cleverly penned to be sexy without sounding slutty) such as "if there's a camera up in here, then I best not catch this flick on YouTube", all the while pleading for her body to be touched, played and wrestled. It's the Mimi paradox.
Her vocal range was discarded in favor of highly synthesized harmonics (layers and layers of the voice; and did you notice the oh's in the chorus? Gives me that tingly feeling.) and uber-catchy, "finger snapping" beat. However, it still came out fascinating. Far from the magnitude of We Belong Together's awesomeness but it can stand on its own.
And after a few listens, I further realized the magic of Touch - it may not have that knockout first impression of other Mariah tracks but it's so radio-friendly that you wouldn't mind listening to it every after five minutes. No wonder radio stations all over have included it on their A list faster than they can figure out if E=MC².
*******
Touch my body, let me wrap my thighs all around your waist, just a little taste. Touch my body, know you like my curves. Come on and give me what I deserve.
No comments:
Post a Comment