Thursday, June 5, 2008

defining awesome

I've always been told that I won't last a week should I decided to live independently from my family.

For the longest time, I was the only kid in our little extended family. And by little, I mean my parents, my mom's parents and their eight other children. That's twelve adults living under a single roof so inevitably, I was raised as a pampered child not only by my folks but as well as aunts and uncles. When I was young, everything I needed was seemingly served to me on a silver platter.

But I was never a brat. There's a distinction between being pampered and just being a pain-in-the-ass. And anyone who knew me back then can attest that I was never like the latter. I think.

So obviously, I never got to fully learn the basic household chores except for shopping or pamamalengke. As for the rest like cooking, washing the dishes, doing the laundry, ironing clothes and working on some minor house repairs, I know zip about.

It's not that I never showed interest in learning them. I did. I remember asking my mom back in sixth grade if I could start doing my own laundry. She said no saying that it'll ruin my hands. All the while I thought that I really had good, soft hands. Until I realized that she just doesn't want me meddling with her chores. She doesn't trust that I can wash my clothes as good as she does. Ugh. Well at least she lets me do my own underwear because it's just too freaky to ler do it.

My mom loves being a housewife and a mother. She's the best at what she does. But I needed to learn to be live independently, that's why I sought her blessing when I said that I wanted to move out as soon as I have enough savings.

"Kung kaya mo sige. Dapat ka rin matuto para kapag nagkapamilya ka."

Right, mom.

My savings were spent on the house construction we had last year. And I have accepted that I will have to put my plan on having a place of my own on hold. But it didn't stop me from wanting to move out. I was ready to settle for a bed space until I found out what bed spacing meant.

Nevertheless, life's weird. It never occurred to me that I'll get to try and live independently from my family this early. I wasn't expecting this, not until when I'm perhaps thirty - when my brother has finished his schooling and when every major household expenditure has been settled, anyway.

Now I'm literally a thousand miles, or more, away from them. And even if it's only for a few weeks, I get to be independent. And free. And have this freaking awesome place of my own.

So even if I was tired from all the flying, I still unpacked all my things and organized them properly into the drawers and shelves. I wanted to make it feel homey immediately. I got caught up in folding my clothes, I wanted it to be perfect. Yep, I guess I'm O.O.C. - that's overly, obsessive-compulsive. I tend to be like that sometimes.

It was past midnight when I finished the chore. And of course, I couldn't stop myself from taking pictures. The room is just so lovely and I wanted it to be immortalized.

When I said I wanted a place of my own, I was dreaming of a small, studio-type room. Not an apartment with a bathroom inside the bedroom, a cozy living room, my own dining area, a semi-furnished kitchen, two flat wide screen TVs (one for the living and one for the bedroom) and, hold it, a freaking fireplace. Sorry naman kung mababaw, pero wow! I so want to have one when I have my own house built. It can double as an oven, or something.




Like I said before, this is awesome.

*******

POSTSCRIPT. Of course I get to share all of these with Manolito. But I deem him irrelevant and inexistent. So there. Oh, and we're not sharing rooms.

23 comments:

k a r e n said...

Hahaha I am so opposite you! When I travel for work, I feel quite miserable and all I want to do is get it done and over with and fly back home. I haven't quite developed the liking for traveling alone yet but I guess it's also because I haven't been in a place long enough to appreciate it. The longest I've been in a certain place for work is less than a week and they typically pack my day so much that I feel both hungry and tired at the end of the day.

I don't really get any time for myself when I'm traveling for work which is probably why I don't like it.

JM said...

nice naman. sana ako din magkaroon ng ganitong investment :)

N said...

wow! ako rin, those were the things my mom did not let me do...so i decided to let be on my own so i could learn more for myself.,,that is being independent.

and who is that irrelevant and non-existent person wou're living with? ;)

odin hood said...

hahaha ang cute, ako rin pag sa mga trip, first thing i do fix my things, get settled in at magpaka-at home.

nice place

Oman said...

One thing I have learned living independently is that no matter the distance, your family will still be your greatest comforter.

Be safe always and thanks for visiting my blog.

KRIS JASPER said...

Hi mak, it's really hard to be away from family at first, but it's a good accomplishment once you survive it.

Nash said...

nice crib makmak :)

nako ingat ka dyan sa Tate

madaming uber hot na Americans hahaha

MakMak said...

@karen: Ahaha. Ewan ko nga bakit feeling ko that this trip is like my long overdue bakasyon grande eh. Para bang my office hours pass by unnoticed tapos, "bakasyon" na naman. Ehehe. Pagdating ko sa Manila para tuloy wala akong natutunan.

I love traveling, be it with alone or otherwise, depende rin kasi sa circumstances. Actually tonight, I'll be leaving for NY and mag-isa lang ako. And kinakabahan ako actually. Pero oks lang. :)

MakMak said...

@jm: Aw. Wish ko lang na akin na 'to. :) In time magkakaroon tayo ng ganyan.

MakMak said...

@odin hood: Tenks tenks. :) Para comfy kagad di ba saka ewan ahaha, excited lang siguro talaga.

MakMak said...

@lawstude: I have to agree with you on that. :)

Thanks po and no problem. Lagi akong dumadaan sa blog mo.

MakMak said...

@kris jasper van dyke: Hey Kuya KJVD. Yep. It's always good to be independent and this trip managed to remind me that I can make it on my own. :)

MakMak said...

@nash: Thanks Nash. Opo mag-iingat. Kaya nga kapag me kunwari me nang-hold up saken eh ready na akong magsabi na "wag na po pera ko, sasama na lang ako sa inyo". Hehehe. Joke. :)

Pero ala masyado, mas me hitsura yung hindi pure caucasian.

PrincheCHA Fiona said...

Awesome! :p Enjoy sa trip sa NY! :)

David Edward said...

hulaan ko.. Is it the Marriott? hhehehe..
Enjoy!

my-so-called-Quest said...

ayun! mukhang ayos na ayos ang gamit ah! hehhe

6 more weeks kuya! ingats ka jan ha=]

. said...

Nice place you've got!!

Turismoboi said...

sushal!

MakMak said...

@princhecha fiona: Thank you Princhecha! :)

MakMak said...

@david edward: Wuy! Galing ah. :)

MakMak said...

@my-so-called-quest: Sobra naman bilang mo, mga four na lang. Pero tinatamad na akong mag-extend... Nauubos pera ko dito Ehehehe.

MakMak said...

@mugen: Ayos no? :)Buti nga maganda yung nabigay na lugar eh. :)

MakMak said...

@turismoboi: Ehehehe. :P