Or does it?
Not when almost everyone else is busy worshiping athletic prowess, ethereal looks and whatever is in the pop culture nowadays more than intellectual capability. More than heart, soul and wit.
Whatever happened to substance over form?
It is true though that physical attributes tend to be a lot more noticeable at first as compared to personality. But in time, if the person is funny, smart and motivated they tend to get more and more attractive and likable. The same way a very beautiful and hot person can become less fascinating when one finds out that they are lacking any good qualities other than being an eye candy. But technically they'd still be hot and pretty.
Back then, or maybe even now, during lucid intervals, I would have traded a few brain cells for some of that sex, drugs and rock 'n roll lifestyle of the good-looking-but-not-so-bright crowd. Well maybe I'd take two out of those three.
It is tempting to say that being smart is better than being pretty. But that is a ridiculous statement. It's like asking which is better between dancing and singing. Or if Mariah is better than Madonna. I so wanna say she is but I have to be fair. Damn objectivity. The two are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they can coexist to form a potent, dangerous combo. Look up blessed, and lucky.
However, for the sake of an argument, let's say that those two traits are exclusive. You can only be either just beautiful, or just smart. Never beautiful and smart.
It has been said that life’s bitter battle is won not by the fastest or the strongest or the most dashing man, but sooner or later, it goes to the one who thinks that he can.
So smart people win, yes?
Beauty fades with time. And pretty is relative - it is defined by one's self, by the people around him or her and by the media. There are standards to conform to, if one wants to keep his or her pretty.
Smart, on the other hand, sticks around. Unless something really tragic happens to one's brain. Smart people think. Therefore, they adapt to the changes. And given enough time, smart can evolve into something beautiful (hello gym, spas and GQ/Vogue!).
In the end though, either quality can get a person far in life.
Think of it this way, if you want to be the next top model, being pretty equals fierce. However, if you want to be a doctor then smart will get you places.
But then again, most doctors are pretty too. What I said, lucky.
*******
POSTSCRIPT. I've been trying to write this for ages. Finally. And it was a portion of a short chat last night that triggered me to work on this piece; even if the original idea was lost as new concepts were introduced. But whatever.
14 comments:
smart words.
but then, we can't have everything. so i think having that good looks propel you to success is, i must say, smart enough for you.
just that, we can't have everything. being smart or smarter than anybody you might know is to use whatever you have to its fullest. it's just a matter of perspective.
:)
Given that I am single, I will be looking for someone who is tough, street-smart, and masculine enough to control me. I won't be hitting someone with good looks, instead, someone presentable can already fill the bill.
i couldn't say anthing more. you have effectively summarized everything up.
sometimes i just wish that subtance over form would not only live among beauty pageant answers...
kudos to you and to this post!!!
Very well-written!
I've always pondered that question and I wish I could say that I am fine with being ugly so long as i have brains but then I'd be lying to myself. If I could choose, maybe I'd like 55% brains and 45% beauty? LOL!
Both has its advantages. Being beautiful can get you places where your brains may not necessarily take you and vice versa. What can I say, it is human nature to go for what is pleasing to the eye diba? But like you said, our physical qualities fade with time but our personalities and our "smarts" stay with us.
beauty or brains?
i remember what i used to say whenever i fail in an exam.
"oks lng bumagsak at least cute pa rin ako" ahehhhe. pero juk lng un.
mababaw tumingin sa superficial lang. dahil di lang sa superficial namemesure ang isang pagkatao=]
@white: Yep, we can't have everything. Where would we put it anyway? :)
And by "YOU" (in your second statement) you mean me? Ehehehe. Kasi hindi ko makita yung good sa looks. Lol.
@mugen: Nice qualities you've picked. :)
@wanderingcommuter: Well, sometimes they do. :) You just have to be open to noticing those things.
Thanks Wander!
@karen: Ahaha. :) First off, it amuses me whenever I find a comment from you pending my approval. Thanks. I must have written something good to merit it. Lol. (Sina Bom/Jen/Jela kasi medyo tahimik...) Ehehehe.
Anyway, I'd be lying to myself as well if I'd say that I'd settle for smarts. And your ratio sounds alright. It's workable. Lol.
In reality though, we have to live with what we were given. It's up to us on how to make full use of it - whether be it a physical or mental gift.
@my-so-called-quest: Yep, pero Doc yung superficial ang unang nakikita. Kaya minsan important pa rin ang pagiging presentable.
Hindi ko masabing maraming mababaw sa mundo. Siguro better kung sabihin ko na, maraming mabilis magjudge, kahit nde pa nila nakikilala fully yung tao.
Nakakalungkot, pero that's life, di ba? :)
Hahaha! I agree, we can't really choose between the two..it really depends on what we've been given and it's just up to us make the most out of it. In that regard, we used to have this classmate in UST who was so unbelievably smart and we used to joke around saying, "Kasi ng nagpaulan si God ng talino, si Frank lumabas ng may hawak na balde eh tayo tabo lang.." =)
waw! well written post ito! matagal ko na ding gustong i justify ang point mo eh, sobrang tagal ko ng syang gustong isulat buti na lang na ipoint out mo ng maayos ang quality over substance na standard. this made my day
@karen: Parang may kilala akong Frank. Lol.
@blackdarkheart: Thanks po! I'm glad it did. :)
Post a Comment