Wednesday, June 18, 2008

this is my new york: if it doesn't end well, then it's not yet the end

Trying times will always come and go in our lives. They’re inevitable like change, death and taxes. Sadly though, many are easily discouraged by the slightest misfortune that they encounter. They’re too focused on being negative and downtrodden when they could as easily think that whenever there’s depression, prosperity and good times are not far behind. It’s a cycle; nobody deserves to be damned forever.

Take for instance the history of the place where I’m at. More than anything else, Wall Street has always been the physical manifestation of economic and financial power. This has been the place where economic systems were formed, where trade and politics meshed, where elitism and innovation proliferated, and cut-throat capitalism flourished. This area houses landmark sites which include the Federal Hall, the Trump Building, the Trinity church, and of course, the New York Stock Exchange. All of which has witnessed the rise and fall of Corporate America.

From the Wall Street bombing to the worldwide economic downturn during the Great Depression, America’s financial district suffered tremendously, stagnating growth and progress for several years. And it wasn’t until the 60s, when the World Trade Center was constructed to help stimulate urban renewal in Lower Manhattan that large, powerful firms began settling in the area. This has revived the area for what it was known for albeit shifting the nexus from Wall Street to the Trade Center Complex. Once again, it has become the financial heart of the world. Until the tragedy that was the 9/11 – when al-Qaeda terrorists intentionally crashed two jet airliners into the World Trade Center. Not only did America’s economy significantly plummet, but numerous properties and more importantly, thousands of lives were destroyed and lost on that day. But America has picked up its pieces and acted upon the revitalization of its financial district spurring development, and reclaiming the glory of Wall Street.


It’s a twisted cycle, life. It’s something that we just have to accept - our journey won’t ever be complete without a few bruises and losses. But as long as we keep our spirits strong and stand up each time we fall, we’ll always be triumphant. Be positive, be hopeful.

Like how I am being hopeful for my friends to arrive anytime soon. A few more minutes alone in this cold, with these pigeons and add the reeking steam from the sewers, will force me to go Trump on them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Mark. Oftentimes, what I say to other people doesn't get in my head.

I need other people to say it to me.

HOPE. Such a powerful word.

and I HOPE you're doing great there in NYC. Fun times! I wish I can go there soon!

MakMak said...

@jhenny: Miss you jhen! Can't wait to see you and have lunch and catch up. Lol.

Anyhow, yep. Hope is such a powerful thing. It is what drives people to live. :)

I'm having the grandest time here. I wish I could bring it all to you guys.