Sunday, June 15, 2008

this is my new york: when you're alone and life is making you lonely, pt. I

I'm going downtown.

I'm supposed to meet Mickey and Josie at the Subway's Wall Street station by seven. And it's already six forty-five. I had trouble dragging myself out of bed as I only had two to three hours of sleep last night. And I was such in a hurry that I did not bother availing of the inn's free breakfast, and more importantly, I wasn't able to wait for Brad to wake up. I'm not really one for goodbyes but knowing that there's not a chance in the universe that our paths will ever cross again, I wanted to. But he was still asleep and I'm already running late.

I rushed down to the Subway only to find out that I'm in the Amtrak station. So I walked, trying to keep my cool, searching for a signage or an arrow, or even for a yellow brick road. After ten minutes, I finally tracked down the right station. But NYC's subway transport is a bit complicated for novices like myself so I had to ask the ticket guy for directions. He said that I should take the train going to Downtown 2.

"Are the lights much brighter there," I mumbled as I took the card.

"What?"

"Nothing," I said half-smiling as I turned my back and headed to the waiting area.

The subway was everything that I imagined it to be. There was a relative feeling of darkness, the air was a bit clammy and everyone was seemingly conscious of their surroundings. I have to say though that the station was clean, save for the air pollution coming off from some hobo in the corner. Perhaps.

"Excuse me, is the train for Downtown 2 coming," asked a Chinese-looking lady. I always find it entertaining when strangers ask me for directions. It makes me feel that I look approachable (or knowledgeable) which opposes the notion that I'm a snob.

"Oh. I think so. Otherwise the guy in the booth wouldn't have sold me this," I answered as I showed her my ticket, assuming that what I just said was correct.

She walked a few steps towards a poster which I have failed to notice when I first got in. "But it says here that there is a scheduled maintenance and that the passengers for Downtown 2 should take the direct train."

"I see. Well, I guess it won't be coming. Are you also heading that way?" I asked. Stupid question, I know.

"Yes, I'll be going to Jersey. And you? We better go the other side," she said as she lead the way to the other platform. We came just in time when the train stopped to take in some more passengers. We chose the free seats nearest the doors.

"It is a bit complicated, the New York subway," I uttered as I tried to start a conversation.

"Oh yes. It takes some time to get used to. You just have to check out announcements like the one posted earlier. You are going where?"

"I see. But it is convenient and fast right? I'm supposed to get off at Wall Street. It comes before your stop, yes?"

"Ah yeah. It's a few stations from where we boarded. I'll let you know."

"Thanks. You are a Filipino po?" I just have to ask. I sort of know based on her accent and demeanor but I wanted to confirm it.

"Ay oo. Ikaw din," she said beaming.

Her question made me laugh. "Opo. Ate naman, hindi naman ako mukhang Amerikano eh."

TO BE CONTINUED.

2 comments:

N said...

good that somehow you're not alone there...maraming Filipios dyan :)

and for sure, you will get trough every challenge there.

MakMak said...

@white: Sabi nga nila madami daw pero onte lang po nakakasalamuha ko. Fortunately, pleasant naman po lahat ng encounters ko.

Yep, survivor ako. Lol. :P