Sunday, June 15, 2008

this is my new york: when you're alone and life is making you lonely, pt. II

"Well New York residents are made up of different races. I thought you were a student," she reasoned out.

"Sus, nambola pa."

"Hindi nga. And you speak the language well."

"Most Filipinos do. Anyway, I'm just staying for the weekend. I'm actually based in Maryland. Just here on a business trip. Ako nga po pala si Mak. Kayo po?"

"That's good. My name's Cora."

In that short span of time I have learned that Ate Cora hails from Pampanga (that's why I was a bit cautious not to say anything against the Government when we talked about the current political and economic issues in the Philippines). She's a mother of three kids - the first two are studying at LSGH and the youngest at OB Montessori. She has been working here since 1995 (or is it 1985?) but her last visit to her home country was two years ago. She is very fond of the Rockwell area where she just bought a three-bedroom condominium unit. And she also used to shop a lot at Greenhills when tiangge's proliferated the mall.

"I've never really aspired to work here but these past few weeks has shown me things that made me think otherwise."

"Maganda magtrabaho dito para makapag-ipon. Pero, not to sound selfish, dapat dumaan kayo sa tamang paraan. I mean, sayang ang pinag-aralan niyo kung pupunta kayo dito at tatanggap lang kayo ng trabaho na hindi angkop sa tinapos niyo. Sayang ang pinag-aral sa inyo ng magulang ninyo kung ganun."

"Opo naman. If ever, second job na lang yun mga ganun. I've been in this field far too long for me to just throw the experience away just so I can be here. If I'll be leaving my home, it should be for something worthwhile. People should never settle for anything less, just because."

The train halted on Wall Street Station. I thanked Ate Cora for the assistance and for the pleasant chat.

"It's always good to see a kababayan here," she said, widely smiling.


I know. Familiarity dispels the lonesomeness that otherwise looms over Filipinos, and almost everyone else, in New York City. Then again, it's not just in NYC, it happens everywhere.

I returned her smile as the train sped off. Once again I'm alone in this strange city, hopefully not for long though.

4 comments:

. said...

I wonder if there are Pinoys in Iceland. Parang gusto ko maligaw dun someday. Ehehe.

odin hood said...

madalas ako makarinig or makabasa ng mga stories ng mga pinoy na nagsusupladahan pag nasa abroad.... good to know na marami naman din pala ang friendly at mababait sa kapwa pinoy like you and ate cora at ung iba pa na nakwento mo na...

MakMak said...

@mugen: Malamang meron din dun. Ang Pinoy pa, nagkalat yan parang langgam. ^^,

Panong maligaw? Yung tipong nakasakay ka sa shuttle at nakatulog ka, pagkagising mo ay nasa Iceland ka na? Lol.

MakMak said...

@odin hood: Yup, para kasi saken, kahit hindi Pinoy actually, dapat maging courteous at receptive sa kahit kanino.

Unfortunatley, meron din talaga na medyo nagsusuplado/suplada. I've "met" one and ikukuwento ko siya. Stay tuned! :P