Sunday, August 17, 2008

cringeworthy

I went out yesterday to have some more alone time. I want to write a decent review of the Twilight book so I needed some peace and quiet. And there's no better place that has that kind of ambiance than a coffee place, right? Wrong.

It must be because it's a Saturday that the entire cafe was filled with the incessant prattling of grade school kids huddled on the center table. There were at least ten of them, sharing one Frappucino. They had separate straws though. Smart kids.

On the table directly in front of mine were four ladies swapping pleasantries and pasalubongs in the form of several humongous containers of slimming pills (they need it). They were giggling like high school kids while eating their to-go order from Taters. And take note, there was not a single food or drink that was bought from the cafe. I admire their audacity for pulling off something like that. Har har. ****es.

And the two kids playing their PSP behind me kept on accidentally nudging my couch with their feet. It didn't bother me at all, but I needed to add that detail just to show how distracted I was. I gave up writing and brought out the new book I purchased earlier from Powerbooks.

As much as I loath Stephenie Meyer for having this much success over her crappy Twilight series, I still bought the second book - New Moon. I know it was a pretty stupid move for someone who considers the novel rubbish but I had to justify what I will be writing. So yeah, I'll probably be buying the whole lot of it. Damn Meyers! Regardless though, I still find her writing skill so elementary. I don't care if she has sold a gazillion copies of her books, that doesn't prove anything except that many people (like myself) are foolish enough to buy the set. It doesn't mean that she's an exceptionally good writer. Look at Rihanna for instance, the girl can't sing to save her life but her music sells better than hotcakes. The world is indeed, unfair.

I have another theory though, why I found myself buying the second book of the Twilight series. I think I'm so out-of-touch with real-life romance that I am, once again, living vicariously through fictional characters - this time through Bella and her boys, human or otherwise. And it does help that there are vampires and werewolves in this rather tamed perversity. I wouldn't be so into it if there weren't any. Monsters are hot. Except for trolls, dwarves and Frankenstein. Big Foot, I'm still thinking it it's worth considering.

I think I need to get out more.

*******

I found this entry while I was scanning my old journals, hoping to find something worth revisiting:
I have never felt like this before. Maybe once, but it was a long time ago. I never thought I'd feel this way again. Not for you anyway.

Your mere presence makes my day perfect. All my worries seem to dissolve when I'm with you. My clumsiness feels cute when it happens while you're around. It makes you smile. I like it when you smile. God. That's probably why I never want you out of my sight, why I long for your company. You have a way with people, I'm not quite sure if you do it consciously but I hate it. It's selfish but I don't want you dazzling anyone else but myself.

I know it's an impossibility. You wouldn't want it. You won't let me. But I can dream. And I can be persistent, until you give in.
I think it was signed, "Bella". LOL.

6 comments:

cobe said...

i just finished reading twilight today, and i have to agree with you. the book wasn't well written. The story lacked any real depth. but like you i plan on reading the remaining books! peer pressure i guess :)

my-so-called-Quest said...

sana sinama mo ko..,
lalo kang di nakabasa! hehehe

bibili rin ako ng twighlight.
sana magustuhan ko=]

atto aryo said...

Have a nice day! he he. You need that. :-)

MakMak said...

@cobe: Ahaha. You're giving in to your peers? LOL.

Well, I'm on my third book now and still not enjoying it. I find myself skipping some parts. Stephenie (first name basis LOL) uses too much adjectives and adverbs, at all the wrong instances.

MakMak said...

@my-so-called-quest: Uu, LOL. Baka paalisin lang tayo sa Starbucks sa kakulitan natin.

Sana nga Gossip Girl na lang binili ko instead of Twilight.

MakMak said...

@r-yo: You too Kuya R-Yo! :)