CRUSHDavid Archuleta
David Archuleta
Rating: A
When I first heard that David Archuleta’s lead single is entitled Crush, I was expecting for it to be of the bubble gum, feel god type much like Mandy Moore’s and Darren Hayes’ singles. It’s how it should go, like how “Sunshine” songs has always been uplifting and bursting with positivity. Instead, the teen sensation delivers a somewhat somber tune but still retaining the message of every similarly-titled song – the pangs of teenage romance.
The song pretty much harks back to a 90s Backstreet Boy ballads, (cheesy) lyric- and (cookie cutter) melody-wise. It starts off with lush, calm beats until it reaches an epic-like chorus, where his voice soars and does runs which only an Archuleta can. The part actually reminds me of the same runs used in his performance of You’re The Voice during the Idol show. And speaking of the same, Crush also sounds strikingly similar to JoJo’s Too Little Too Late – especially the way it is structured to give emphasis on its sweeping chorus. And much like how overproduction has been a problem for JoJo, the same can be said for Archuleta. The beats incorporated to make their sound more contemporary tend to mask the magnificence of both teen’s voices.
Nevertheless, Archuleta still manages to shine with this uber-radio friendly song. This is pop at its finest. If that Montana girl can pull off two number one albums, I’m sure that a genuine talent can do better. If not, then the apocalypse is near.
*******
Do you ever think when you're all alone - all that we could be, where this thing could go? Am I crazy or falling in love? Is it really just another crush?
4 comments:
hmm. me single na agad si DA? That I have to hear. Penge nga MP3. he he
@r-yo: Uu. Google mo na! LOLs. San ko send? Ehehehe.
got this single and i was disappointed. i hope DA's album will not be mushed by this kind of song.
@white: I'm pretty sure it'll be similar to Jordin Sparks' album - it might contain one or two big hits and the rest are fillers.
Post a Comment