Friday, August 15, 2008

the cold one

I decided to spend the night cozying up in the corner nook of Starbucks. I couldn’t bear the thought of going home this early when I’m feeling absolutely, for lack of a better word, cute (!).

As I can't seem to drag anyone with me, I brought Twilight to keep me company instead. I hoped that I'd be able to finish it in one sitting but I found the task both daunting and challenging at the same time, for the following reasons:

The book doesn’t do anything to me at all, except for a few scenes wherein it’s unavoidable not to get carried away with the story’s cheap romantic thrills. I am actually planning to do a review of the book by chapters so that I can be more specific in doing the dissing. Oh yes, there will be lots of it. I’m torn between liking it because I’m a sucker for love stories, and cringing because Meyer is just an awful writer. I shall elaborate more as soon as I’m done with the book. That is if I get to finish it before fall.

And the guy on the table beside me was incessantly raving to his guy “friend” about the following:

> his plans for 2011;
> his love for his new job (he joined the new company last July 28);
> his supposed provident funds which he’ll be using to finance his US and UK trip;
> his quest to conquer all certification examinations (CIA, CFA, CMA);
> his intention to take up a Master’s Degree;
> his goal of working for ADB because:
  • the salary will be in dollars;
  • the exposure that he’ll be getting;
  • the benefits which include, get this, tuition fee grant for his would-be spawns
Not that I was consciously eavesdropping (they were so loud that I can't hear myself reading Meyer's narrative), but what he said was enough to get my attention and stop myself from playing with my drink's straw (I tend to do that especially when there’s nothing left to sip. :P).

Anyway, here’s a guy whose speaking voice is so shrill and annoying that he could probably give Fran Drescher a run for her money, talking about having future kids. Goodness.

Oh and I left out the best part - as he ended his “And yung tuition fee, libre na para sa mga magiging anak ko. O diba” sentence, he primly tucked his hair to the back of his left ear. O diba?

And since I was already distracted from finishing my reading, I immediately drafted this entry before the details slip my mind. Of course, the daddy-to-be and his guy “friend” had already left when I started this composition. I wouldn’t want him to accidentally see this and be offended. I may be judgmental and I may not be nice, but I know I’m sensible and smart enough not to tell such things in front of his face. I may be entitled to my own opinion but I will never ever have the right to make him feel bad.

And since we're on the subject of bad, as the two headed out, I remember thinking that if daddy-to-be had plans of going to the US or applying at ADB, he might want to get himself a new shirt first because the one he's currently wearing has a lot of tiny holes on its backside. Those little details matter. I'm just saying.

It’s still raining hard, but my Frappucinno's gone and so is my laptop’s power (two ladies are hogging the store's electric socket so I can’t plug mine in).

This has been a very ostentatious night.

Not really, I just wanted to use that word.

12 comments:

gillboard said...

that's mean... I like it!!!

. said...

Very detailed ah. I don't want to say this, but I think you're one of the most urbanite person that I know. How I wish I could see things the way you do Makmak. :)

jen said...

Aaw, sayang you didn't like Twilight... but honestly, out of the four books, it's my least favorite. Good thing siguro I started with New Moon. Plus, i'm a sucker for love stories then add in the vampire, ayan kaya nagustuhan ko. Hehehe.

ika said...

agree. I can't believe that meyer's books is that popular. she has absolutely no talent. she doesn't even know how to write. period.

oh, I wasted book money on her.

Anonymous said...

"Ostentatious." I like that word. Hahaha. It's like "exuberant."

I love my big words.

MakMak said...

@gillboard: Aw. That's me being friendly. LOL. :P

MakMak said...

@mugen: Ahaha. Oo, kasi he was so close that he might as well be whispering those things to me. :P

Urbanite? Hindi naman. Masyado. Pero I have to look this word up pa.

Thanks Joms.

MakMak said...

@jen: I think the Twilight series, as a preliminary judgment, is ideal for pre-teens, minus the oozing sexual tension between Bella and her boys. LOL.

Meyer cannot use the excuse that she's writing from an 18-year old girl's perspective. I've seen writers, or even bloggers, who can write better than her. :P

MakMak said...

@ika: Oh, I wasted about PHP700 on her books. And I think I'm about to waste another PHP700 for writing's sake. I need to know the entire story to make a proper review.

MakMak said...

@thesunbakedking: How about you? Have you read the Twilight series yet? :P

Yup, we all love our ten dollar words. :P

Anonymous said...

It's weird, Mak. I'm already hating on Meyer and her Twilight series even if I haven't read a single word off her book. Maybe it's because I don't like all this attention being given to her books. Maybe I'm not a fan of vampires.

MakMak said...

@thesunbakedking: Gasp! You're not a fan of vampires? They're like cool. LOL.

Anyway, if you love how Stephen King writes, you'll find Meyer's style so juvenile.

I think her series, even if its geared towards young adults, doesn't have that universal appeal that other books (like HP, not comparing, not comparing) possess.