DISTRICT 9Sharlto Copley
Neill Blomkamp
You Are Not Welcome Here.
The movie packs enough tension to lock you in and keep your eyes on the lead star, who by the way, delivered a solid performance. But as it is more of a social commentary than a science fiction flick ala Terminator Salvation or Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, District 9 struggles to really go anywhere. It is interesting and original enough to watch, but it's a bit far from being really impressive.
THE PROPOSALSandra Bullock / Ryan Reynolds
Anne Fletcher
Here Comes The Bribe...
God knows how much I adore Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock. So imagine my thrill when The Proposal came out. True enough, I can't stop babbling about how good it was after the first screening, and it is only now that I realized how contrived the movie was. Then again, The Proposal is just as formulaic as any other chick flick released in the recent years. It doesn't help that the Reynolds and Bullock have zero chemistry.
HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOUBen Affleck / Jennifer Aniston / Drew Barrymore / Scarlett Johansson / Justin Long / Jennifer Connelly / Ginnifer Goodwin / Kevin Connolly / Bradley Cooper
Ken Kwapis
Are You The Exception... Or The Rule?
What better way to remind us that people do a lot of stupid things when they're in love than put it in a screenplay, then turn it into a blockbuster Valentine offering. While most people, men in general, gave this movie a thumbs down, I still consider this as one of the best I've seen this year. The truth may be ugly, but it's still the truth; and He's Just Not That Into You, despite slightly exaggerating some points, showed it all.
PRECIOUSGabourey Sidibe / Mo'Nique / Paula Patton / Mariah Carey
Lee Daniels
Life Is Hard. Life Is Short. Life Is Painful. Life Is Rich. Life Is... Precious.
This is a triumph of a film, and I'm not saying this because Mariah Carey is a part of this phenomenon. I've never seen anything so compelling. There are scenes that are a bit uncomfortable and painful to watch and yet they remain captivating thanks to the sheer brilliance of its ensemble. Precious ends with an emotional wallop. It was made for us to learn something about us, and about life.
STAR TREK
Lee Daniels
Life Is Hard. Life Is Short. Life Is Painful. Life Is Rich. Life Is... Precious.
This is a triumph of a film, and I'm not saying this because Mariah Carey is a part of this phenomenon. I've never seen anything so compelling. There are scenes that are a bit uncomfortable and painful to watch and yet they remain captivating thanks to the sheer brilliance of its ensemble. Precious ends with an emotional wallop. It was made for us to learn something about us, and about life.
STAR TREKChris Pine / Zachary Quinto / Eric Bana
J. J. Abrams
The Future Begins.
I've never been a Trekkie but after sitting through the film, while the credits were rolling, I found myself wanting a sequel, or if not, a DVD marathon of any Star Trek-related series. It was that good. Star Trek creates this alternate universe which I want to get lost in. It's just a plus if Pine or Quinto will be there.
TO BE CONTINUED.
J. J. Abrams
The Future Begins.
I've never been a Trekkie but after sitting through the film, while the credits were rolling, I found myself wanting a sequel, or if not, a DVD marathon of any Star Trek-related series. It was that good. Star Trek creates this alternate universe which I want to get lost in. It's just a plus if Pine or Quinto will be there.
TO BE CONTINUED.
4 comments:
Except for Precious, I have seen all the films on your list. And I agree that these are good movies.
dami mo napanood ah, yung district 9 at proposa lang napanood ko :)
@engel: So we have the same taste in movies, huh? =) Watch Precious. It's a very nice film.
@thecurioscat: Yup! Haha. I love watching movies!!! =) With popcorn and mango shake. Haha.
Post a Comment