Wednesday, January 13, 2010

when bad things happen to the undeserving

"So how do you know that yours is not a happy ending," the dearest officemate asked over lunch at a quaint diner called Mr. Jones. We wanted to have dinner there last Friday but the place was packed so when we went out this morning to buy a Lego set as a gift to an officemate, I suggested we check if we can have lunch there. Anyway, in between spoons of mashed potato, my first time to eat one ever, and the scrumptious almond-coated chicken, we discussed how fairy tales are as far out as real life is.

"I don't," I answered. I took a long sip from my Malt Chocolate Milkshake before adding, "That's why I'm trying to make the most of it. I don't know when and how this happy will end."

*******

A little before five, the dearest officemate walked towards my workstation and tried to get my attention as I was listening to Archie then. I took my earphones off and said, "What's up?"

"Sorry, Mak ha," she said. Her voice with a hint of despondency. "Alam ko naman personality mo. Ma-absorb mo 'to. Pero wala lang ako masabihan."

"Ano ka ba? Wag mong isipin yun. What happened?"

She sat on my visitor's chair and told me of the update on her brother-in-law's situation. The latter got into a motorcycle accident at the dawn of the new year. After being unconscious for a couple of days, he woke up last Monday to everyone's relief. While one can assume that the worst is finally over, the trauma made a mess out of him and put the family in a bleak situation.

The dearest officemate tried to hold back her tears while telling me this. It was heartbreaking to see her this way. After composing herself, she uttered, "Pasensya na ha. Kwentuhan mo na lang ako sa lovelife mo para sumaya ako."

I laughed. "Hayaan mo. Mag-iimbento ako para sa'yo." I turned off my notebook, cleaned up my desk and told her to do the same. At times when words won't suffice, a cup or two of Red Mango's yogurt and perhaps a movie, might just do the trick.

It sucks when bad things happen to good people. Wait. Let me rephrase that. It sucks when bad things happen to people who seem undeserving of them. But that's life.

There are some things that we're not meant to fully comprehend right away; and like what the dearest officemate reminded me, after all the tribulations, we just have to trust that we're all bound to have that happy ending.

15 comments:

Yas Jayson said...

happy endings happen to all. deserving and undeserving. :D

and i hope we all understand the no one is exempted in all of this life's shit. we just have to trust each other.

good morning. srsly, this one made my day. :D

engel said...

I think things happen for the good people, the ones who don't deserve bad things, for them to become better people.

rudeboy said...

The rain falls on the just and unjust alike, Mak.

That's just how it is.

Anonymous said...

I messed up in thinking about this. So I tried writing instead.

http://goodboi.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/in-deserving-it/

And I still feel messed up a bit. Haha

lazy john said...

awww i like the last line...;p

citybuoy said...

oh mak. i love how you're such an optimist. thank you very much for this reminder.

MakMak said...

@elias jayson: Hey there! Thanks for dropping by. Glad the post affected you in some way. =)

MakMak said...

@engel: Or maybe, things happen by chance, with no reason or purpose behind it whatsoever. What do you think?

MakMak said...

@rudeboy: Sadly, you're very correct, Rudeboy.

MakMak said...

@lazy john: Thanks, LJ. =)

MakMak said...

@citybuoy: Thanks. I try to be. =) You attract what you feel so if you feel that you're on top of the world, then you will be. =)

MakMak said...

@goodboi: I should teach you how to insert a hyperlink one of these days.

Anyway, I've read it and I am preparing an entry as a response to your response.

Anonymous said...

happy endings, kala ko may ganun. buti na lang I cherish everyday like it's the last

MakMak said...

@thecurioscat: Merong ganun. =) You will find yours soon!

k a r e n said...

Both good and bad things happen to people whether we think they deserve it or not. The point is not to dwell on the "why"s because most of the time, we don't get the answer we want or we don't get an answer at all. I personally think what matters is our attitude. Do we let the things that happen to us shape us for the better or the worse? Do we take it in stride and hope for the best or do we let it get the best of us?

I like that you have such a positive attitude. A little bit of honey goes a long way.. =)