Friday, January 1, 2010

looking back: 2009

Two weeks before 2009 ended, Max, my external hard drive malfunctioned. After a colleague borrowed it to transfer some files, it suddenly refused to be accessed by my notebook, my colleague's desktop, and everyone else's computer units. I was in panic. Immediately, I went home to see if I can fix it but sadly, I encountered the same problem. I was left with but an option; and with a heavy heart, I right clicked on the device, whispered goodbye to my data and clicked on format. In under a minute, a decade's worth of data was lost. My mp3s, work files, drafts, my e-journal, and of course, my photo collection - they're all gone. Just like that.

If you asked me right then and there, I would have said upfront that me being frustrated is putting it lightly. I was rather having a grand time on cloud 9 when the powers-that-be suddenly decided that my happy time is up. I was short of screaming that life is so unfair. But my sulking for almost seven hours had me thinking. Just like that, Max was given a clean slate. A fresh start just in time for the coming year. The music database, I can rebuild. The drafts and journal entries, I can re-write. The pictures though, they're another thing. Some might not be recovered but pictures are just a vessel in which memories are preserved; and memories, in general, are hardly lost or forgotten.

The way I look at it, the incident, more than being a metaphor, was the last shove that I needed to let go of all the hurt that 2009 brought. Perhaps, what I lost anchored me to the past, and needless to say, I need to stop worrying about it. After all, there's a reason why it didn't make it to my future. That fateful day, I was tabula rasa. I needed to make new memories, and by happy chance, those formed thereafter are pure bliss. So when I look back to 2009, I shall look back to that point when I'm happiest. Through it, I can reflect on everything else without bitterness. So yes, I shall remember December.

*******

POSTSCRIPT. Happy New Year!

13 comments:

gillboard said...

Happy New Year Mak!!!

Not really sure how things could've been bad for you this year, but I'm positive that the next few days will be better for all of us.

=D

rudeboy said...

That's a nice way to look at it.

Hope 2010 is full of good things for you.

lazy john said...

Happy New Year Mak2!!! I liked this entry... nakakarelate hahaha

Anonymous said...

Time to let go, Mak. Start the year right. O-nine has been a good year, but wait til you see how great this coming year will be. Cheers!

MakMak said...

@thecurioscat: You and your smileys. =P

MakMak said...

@gillboard: Oh, things were indeed, I don't want to use the word bad, challenging. =) But yeah, I'll make sure 2010 will be better.

Happy New Year, Gillboard!

MakMak said...

@rudeboy: Thank you, rudeboy! Cheers! =)

MakMak said...

@lazy john: I know! Haha. =) Happy New Year too you as well!

MakMak said...

@goodboi: You seem so sure that the coming year will be great. Hmmm...

Anyway, I have let go. Want me to ask you the same question? =)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, yes. I am sure of the great year coming. You have already asked me to let go a number of times, I am just throwing it back to you!

MakMak said...

@goodboi: Does your assurance apply to your year, or to mine as well? Haha.

And again, I have. Have you? ;)

Anonymous said...

When I speak here, I talk about yours and not mine. So I say, I see good things coming your way this year.

And please care to ask me again tomorrow. Just don't quit, alright. Hahaha

MakMak said...

@goodboi: Hmm... You didn't tell me you were gifted with a foresight. Tell me what else you see - Career? Fortune? Love life? Hahaha.

Haha. You don't want me to quit you? Hahaha. Lols. Anyway, since you'll be checking this section tomorrow, that I'm sure of, I'll take the liberty of asking it now - what's the status na? =)