Thursday, January 7, 2010

tales from 155 riverside: say nyt marc

While to most, the act of saying goodnight is at times, one of the little things that go unnoticed or one of those that do not really matter, I personally consider it as one of the sweetest gesture a person can do to another fellow.

Recently, my fondness for saying goodnight was made fun of by my dearest officemate. After hearing my anecdote for the day, she exclaimed, "grabe naman kasing obsession sa goodnight yan eh."

In defense, I shared the brief history of how my apparent "obsession" came about.

Similar to how Will and Grace's "Say goodnight, Gracie" thing (as first shown in the closing scene of the pilot episode), my best friend and I have our own. Whether it is through SMS, YM or some other means, we almost always bid each other goodnight.

I can't recall how it was exactly squeezed into our conversation then, but when I first mentioned how I noticed how he's been sending me goodnight messages every night, for the past several evenings, he meekly said, "naalala ko kasi na nabanggit mo dati na wala ng magsasabi sa'yo ng 'goodnight'... kaya ayun."

(Ladies and gentlemen, the sweetest and most thoughtful person I know. Other than myself.)

From then on, it has been a ritual of sorts between us, and I have become so accustomed to it and its niceties.

I say "Nyt" to graciously wrap up a late night conversation. I give out a "Nyt" to bridge the physical distance between myself and another. Perhaps, out-of-the-blue I shall utter "Nyt" to let another know that he/she is remembered.

After explaining, a recent incident came to mind. "Nakakatawa! Kagabi lang niloko ko siya about that," I added.

"Oh, ano yun?" She inquired.

"We were talking online, but it was already late so I told him that I'll go ahead and sleep.
Mak: Hey, mauna na ako. Maaga ako bukas Umaga ako mag-gym.
The best friend: Sige, sige. Good night.
So I bade him good night as well, but not before pointing out something, just to tease him.
Mak: Hmmm... Kailan pa naging good night yun?
Mak: Hehe.
Fortunately,
The best friend: Ahaha.
The best friend: Nyt Marc.
He got it."

"Obsessed!" The dearest officemate quipped.

"No, I'm not! Anyway, yun yung story ng goodnight na iyan."

"Basta, greet mo siya ng goodnight mamaya ha," she said.

I shrugged. Perhaps, I will.

12 comments:

engel said...

Nyt Marc. =)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that explains..

MakMak said...

@engel: Morning Engel. =)

MakMak said...

@goodboi: What?

Anonymous said...

the secret. period.

Jay said...

Ahahahah :-p at ginawa mo pa tlgang entry itong kaganapan na to heheh. D n ako nagna "Nyt Marc." lately kasi mukhang madami na nag gugudnyt sayo :-p Hi mo nga ako sa Officemate mo.:-p

MakMak said...

@goodboi: I see.

MakMak said...

@jay: Akala mo lang na marami pero wala. Hmpf. Kaya pala suplado ka lately. =(

Anonymous said...

Matampuhin ka talaga!!

MakMak said...

@goodboi: Wah! That's the nth time you've pointed that out. Hmpf.

Maraming makakapagpatunay na hindi! Hahaha. =)

citybuoy said...

i think that's really sweet. magaya nga. haha

nyt marc. :D

MakMak said...

@citybuoy: It is. Very. =)

Nyt Nyl. Calling it a day. It's been a very long yet fun one.