Sunday, January 17, 2010

what the world thinks

We have created for ourselves a culture that is heavily influenced by what other people think. Despite the restriction that the notion imposes, most of our actions are still driven by the polarity of approval and rejection that we solicit from the world. But if you think about it, what other people think about us is really none of our business.

I remember one instance when I was informed that a person told a few people that there was nothing remotely likeable about me. Did I let it affect me? Of course. I won't be hypocritical and say that it didn't. It did in ways that you can't imagine. It was hurtful, but I knew better. I could've gone out of my way to let them know who I really am. Perhaps, even get them to like me. But that's a zero-sum game. Winning them over by approval would probably keep me captive with the threat of the same being revoked.

People judge. It's something inevitable. Nevertheless, their judgement, more often than not, is fleeting. And in the above case, it is insubstantial and very unreliable. I have learned not to make a big fuss if they, or any other people for that matter, can't find anything redeeming about me. It may come off as being defensive, but really, it's not my loss.

What that person said had very little to do with me. Those people, they don't know me well enough, and they don't know what I'm capable of. Hence, their opinions don't matter and my ego is secure enough to claim that. This isn't bravado. This is about knowing whose opinions really matter because at the end of the day, you have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself.

6 comments:

gillboard said...

no matter what we do in life... there will always be people who won't like us.

just shrug it off.. mas marami namang tao ang mas gusto ka...

KimGG said...

Chill. U have proven yourself well.

Anonymous said...

ganun talaga Mak, may mga tao talaga na ayaw sa atin, dati nahihirapan ako kase may pagka people pleaser ako dati pero ganun talaga kaya wala na ako pakialam gaano

MakMak said...

@gillboard: Haha. Thanks, Gillboard. This is just something that I wanted to write. It's not necessarily how I feel at the moment.

I have all the people whom I need. Well, maybe not all. Hehe. Pero I'm quite satisfied with who those around me. Kung may ayaw sa akin, eh di ayaw nila. =)

MakMak said...

@quicksilver: Hey! It's always great to see new commenters here.

And thanks for saying that, man.

Yeah, I'm chilling alright. =)

Anonymous said...

I have been also wanting to write something like this, but right now would be inappropriate. I would be a hypocrite if I say that I have transcended beyond this world we created for ourselves!

So cheers to this kicking ass moment for you man! Keep it up! By admitting that you have the right and apt self-esteem makes you likeable more than anyone else. Less fluid, firm and right.