Monday, January 4, 2010

on air: 2009 year in music, pt. II

LIVE LIKE WE'RE DYING
Kris Allen
Kris Allen


Should be so careful who we left out of our lives. And when we long for absolution, there'll be no one on the line.

I was so happy when Kris Allen won last season's American Idol. All I remember thinking was, "Ha! Suck it, Adam Lambert!" It's Team Kris through and through!

PAPARAZZI
Lady GaGa
The Fame


Baby, you'll be famous, chase you down until you love me.

I wasn't into the whole Just Dance and Poker Face craze but Lady GaGa got my attention when she released Paparazzi, and its accompanying self-indulgent short form video, which I haven't seen in its entirety up until now. I love how the song creates this illusion that there are cameras flashing at me when I listen to it while I work out.

A LITTLE TOO NOT OVER YOU
David Archuleta
David Archuleta


And I turn around, you're with him now. I just can't figure it out.

It was a tough battle between Taylor Swift's White Horse and David Archuleta's A Little Too Not Over You to be named as my life's soundtrack back in early January of last year. But as much as I adore baby David, my penchant for fairy tales and drama reigned. Nevertheless, his music remains close to my heart.

CELEBRATION
Madonna
Celebration


Let's get this started, no more hesitation 'cause everybody wants to party with you.

One morning, my boss walked over to my area and placed the latest greatest hits CD of Madonna. "Maganda yan, pakinggan mo," she said in a tone that is more of an order and less of a suggestion. She left me staring at the CD like it was a dead cockroach. I was like, "Why would she think that I would like Madonna?" Because I don't, really.

I GOTTA FEELING
The Black Eyed Peas
The E.N.D.


Party every day, p-p-p-party everyday!

It's bad enough that it tied Mariah Carey's We Belong Together for the song with the most number of weeks on top, but I would have strangled someone if this insanely catchy piece of disposable pop was declared as the number one song of the decade. Good thing it didn't.

WHITE HORSE
Taylor Swift
Fearless


I was a dreamer before you went and let me down.

I think the best love songs are written by non-adults, and in this case, a high-school student. They sing of highs and it feels like you're in heaven, and when they sing of the blues, you would want to cry with them. Taylor Swift just does that. White Horse was pretty much my song last year. Not that I can entirely relate to it but certain bits and lines like, "there in my rear view mirror disappearing now" are just too dramatic/poetic to ignore.

PARTY IN THE U.S.A.
Miley Cyrus
Time Of Our Lives


I'm nodding my head like "Yeah!" Moving my hips like "Yeah!".

Miley Cyrus may be the most obnoxious and overrated 17-year-old celebrity this side of the universe - like this one time, she mentioned in an interview that she has not heard a single Jay-Z song in her life and everyone was like, "but you said the Jay-Z song was on!!!" - but she sure is lucky to be given pop songs that are catchy as hell. Yeah!

CRUSH
David Archuleta
David Archuleta


Do you ever think when you're alone all that we can be, where this thing can go?

Click, click - My Life Is A Pop Song: Crush.

BOOM BOOM POW
The Black Eyed Peas
The E.N.D.


I'm so three thousand and eight, you're so two thousand and late.

Halfway to Baguio, the designated driver changed the car's music to The Black Eyed Peas' latest album. In the middle of nowhere, at the dead of the night, everyone was merrily chanting, "Boom boom boom!". It got old after two minutes.

BATTLEFIELD
Jordin Sparks
Battlefield


If we can't surrender then we both gonna lose what we had, oh no.

When this was released, I was so ecstatic and claimed that this will be the biggest song of Jordin Sparks, and of 2009! I was so wrong. Ahguessahbettagoangetmaarma!

TO BE CONTINUED.

6 comments:

engel said...

i heard of white horse from you and it was one of the most played song on my mp3.

i think my colleagues started to have doubts about my lifestyle because i played this song in the office non-stop for like 3 weeks.

Anonymous said...

This is unbelievable, you have kept a close monitor on music, movies and everything we call pop. I say wow!

Here's to kicking ass this year! Cheers!

citybuoy said...

puro most played ko yung mga yan ah.

and re:battlefield, i think we were all expecting it to be really, really big. na uber-hype siguro.

MakMak said...

@citybuoy: If that's the case, then I can say that you have a good taste in music. =)

Battlefield is good. It was just overshadowed by the likes of GaGa, or whomever was ruling the charts then. =)

MakMak said...

@engel: Haha. I'm glad you liked the song. =)

And why would they doubt your lifestyle based on the music you're listening to? It's Taylor Swift for crying out loud, not uhm, the Pussycat Dolls? Haha. =P

MakMak said...

@goodboi: I know, and thanks.