Thursday, March 27, 2008

and here's another self-anthem

BROKEN
Lifehouse
Who We Are

Rating: A-

Lifehouse is content on churning generic sounding guitar-based pop/rock song after song which is not a bad thing per se. As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Not especially with a gem like Broken which is taken from their latest album Who We Are.

The song continues the theme of brokenness and relationships which is the usual subject of their works. What one would find amazing or confusing, is that it's really hard to tell whether Jason Wade is singing about God or a lover. Or both. Or whether it is intentional.

Lifehouse front man Wade manages to put together words that are vague enough to allow multiple interpretations of their songs, and yet keeps it sensible, pretty and emotionally-driven. Attributes that make their songs, like Broken so moving.

*******

The broken locks were a warning. You got inside my head. I tried my best to be guarded. I'm an open book instead. And I still see your reflection inside of my eyes; that are looking for purpose. They're still looking for life.

4 comments:

N said...

waaaa got the whole album....VERY GOOD!

MakMak said...

@whitelight[er]: Yep, nice album! ^^ Nice pictures of Jason Wade too. Lol.

Dabo said...

but somehow we desire God..to be one with Him.. thus we are lover of Him.. other than being son or daughter..or Him as our yaya or as friend.. it's an unconventional idea..hey it's not incest..

i haven't heard any new songs lately from any artists..or bought any cd since Camino Palmero/the Calling, my first and only (lol)

but lIfehouse is really something..and partially few of their songs I consider my literary influence

MakMak said...

@davenport: I only buy CDs if I find the entire record worthy (to shell out P500). Last one I bought was Mandy's Wild Hope. Otherwise, I optimize the net's resources - download, download, download. ^^

Lifehouse, among other artists actually inspire me. I'm hoping to write a piece that could be both lyrical and literary at the same time (ala Jewel - yung works niya could be stand-alone poems kung walang melody).

Natutuwa kasi ako at they manage to string simple words together that altogether makes for a moving song.