I'd like to see the mythical splendours of ancient Egypt with god-like pharaohs in gold-inlaid barges gliding down the Nile. Ideally, I'd wake up in a Big City hotel somewhere, and during the day I'd prepare myself mentally for my concert at Wembley Stadium; If I thought about it, I really need the sea-breeze running through our hair, both our hair, and sometimes I wish I was the best patisserie chef since Anton Careme invented caramel. I'd like to fly through the air with the greatest of ease, and it would be amazing to see the once-forgotten ruins of an ancient civilization in the recesses of a jungle, where who knows what secret chambers wait to be found. I'd like to have a wolf to keep me company (we can howl at the moon together). Finally, I'd like to throw a party for my friends on tables inlaid with crisp, fresh table linen in the summer gardens of a French Chateau, and maybe I'd invite a unicorn along as a surprise guest.I gave this widget a week to work but I think there's still something wrong with the HTML code that Imagini provided that's why it won't show the images. And since I'm too lazy to debug it, I'll just leave it as is.
- My Wishes, Imagini.Net
*******
Wishing is already a part of man's culture. Wishes are the reflection of people's feelings and they are rooted in their present life and concerns. Most of the time, they are both the literal and symbolic manifestation, and more importantly, the barometer of a man's condition.
Ever since I can remember, I have always been fascinated by the notion of wish fulfillment. When I was younger, I often found myself wishing for various mutant powers, wealth beyond imagination and other whatnots. And even up to now, every once in a while, I would hear myself asking for similar things.
Never would I let a chance to wish slip by. Blowing out candles on my birthday cakes, one wish. Blowing a fallen eyelash off a friend's finger, one wish. Blowing dandelion achenes, one wish. Tossing a coin into a fountain, number of wishes depend on the number of coins tossed. Seeing shooting stars, depends on the number of shooting stars seen. And my favorite, you get a wish on your first visit to a Church you haven't been to before (that's why Churches are always included on my itinerary whenever I travel to other places). Also, there's always the chance of stumbling on a magical lamp which I haven't experienced yet.
Sadly, none of those mentioned worked. Of my 24 years of existence, not a single wish as far as I can recall, had materialized through those means. Just recently, I saw three shooting stars while I was in Batangas. And if those things really grant wishes then I'd be rich, happy and in love right now.
Based on experience, prayer still proves to be the only effective way to wish. It may sound bad but whenever I feel the need to ask for something, my first refuge would always be through praying. And I usually seek out the nearest Church to take a break from everything and just reflect, focus on myself and Him. Then by habit, I light candles just so I could have a solid representation of my aspirations.
However, I believe that prayer does not necessarily grant wishes. For me, it's more of the comfort and serenity that it brings - when I pray, I let go and accept my vulnerability but alongside with this, my complete surrender grants me contentment, fulfillment, atonement and even vindication. Which if you think about it, are the real reasons behind our wishes.
*******
I don't wish to be everything to everyone, but I would like to be something to someone.
- Unknown
8 comments:
wish ko dati(hanggang ngayun)ay makontrol ang weather para wala ng sunog o kaya tagtuyot.
on topic: sabi nga nila when you pray, you not only give faith to God, but you hope for things that are unclear and unseen. so pray lang parati.
'anjan lang andyan lang ang hinahanap mo..."
@blackdarkheart: Funny. But while I was writing the part on wishing for mutant powers naisip ko na never ko hiniling na ma-control ang weather ala Storm. Hehe... Premonition ata un. Actually un pala, ni-wish ko nung "Charmed" days, parang nagkatotoo. Ahahaha. ^^
Seriously, yup I do believe in the power of prayer. Sabi nga di ba, we often wish for the uncontrollable variable in a give circumstance so if ganun yung odds, there's no one better to turn to than Him. :)
I don't want to sound preachy pero un lang. Hehe.
Re: "anjan lang andyan lang ang hinahanap mo..."
>> Uu. Andiyan lang nga (ata). Wahahaha. Pero sana ako yung makita kung ano/sino man ung andiyan...
However, I believe that prayer does not necessarily grant wishes. For me, it's more of the comfort and serenity that it brings - when I pray, I let go and accept my vulnerability but alongside with this, my complete surrender grants me contentment, fulfillment, atonement and even vindication. Which if you think about it, are the real reasons behind our wishes.
- Amen.
@mugen: O:)
mak, just believe. =) your faith will make everything possible. and do not fear to hope.
wishing is totally different from praying. i know you and others can tell the difference. =)
basta type ko si storm! actually sya ang pinakamalakas dapat sa mga mutant.. kasi hello weather ang kinokontrol nya.. ikaw ba naman tumirik ang mata sa pag gawa ng kidlat.. di ba astig!
-- --
we wish all the time. we are all hopefuls and you are right, even the most notorius pessimist could have the most wishful heart.
i wish you courage my friend.
@whitelight[er]: I live on hope. Hope is what makes people cling to life. And yes, wishing is definitely different from praying. But prayer has become a medium of wishing. And an effective one I should say.
@davenport: Ewan. Basta hindi ko talaga sobrang nagustuhan na magka-powers ni Storm. Tsaka si Jean Grey parin ang pinakamalakas sa kanila eh. ^^ And speaking of, mas inclined kasi ako sa psionics/mental powers. Kaya ayun.
And thanks sa hiling mo para saken. Sama mo sa dasal mo ha. ^^ Hehe.
Post a Comment